Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seen a older lady pulled over on the side of a back country road while on my way to town. I stopped and asked if she was ok. She was, and just pulled over to talk on her phone (smart!).

But when I pulled in behind her, I noticed she sells honey. She told me where her hives are. I've seen them about a 1/2 mile away as the bee flys from me, so local honey. She's actually my neighbor, that I just met. She has multiple hives, I would say 8 fully stacked hives that I can see from the road driving by. Her honey bees are probably partly responsible for pollinating my orchard and gardens.

She showed me one of her plastic food grade containers. Label said Raw Honey, ingredients Honey. it's was very dark, she said $12.00 a lb and that she delivers.

Afterwards, I was at rural king, seen 3 lbs, 100% light looking honey on a end cap for $9.99.

I didn't buy any honey today at all. I don't mind paying a little more to help support local. But $10 for 3 lbs vs $12 for 1 lb is not a little more, its a whole lot more. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_20230901_135705613~3.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter ; talk to her and ask if she needs a place to put hives and see about doing a trade... some honey and pollination of your crops, for a place for her to put hives... your fruit trees would benefit and so would her bee hives for not having to fly very far... no out of pocket costs... and her "high priced local honey" would be much more "reasonable"... You could buy a lb container and get some in exchange also, and make the price sensible...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter ; talk to her and ask if she needs a place to put hives and see about doing a trade... some honey and pollination of your crops, for a place for her to put hives... your fruit trees would benefit and so would her bee hives for not having to fly very far... no out of pocket costs... and her "high priced local honey" would be much more "reasonable"... You could buy a lb container and get some in exchange also, and make the price sensible...
Thanks for the confirmation 👍 I was thinking the same thing and about asking her if she would like to put a hive or two out here, all I can do is ask 🤷‍♂️

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Honey! I gave my hives away long ago. Guy gave me honey in exchange. But I use VERY little of it. Best I ever got was in FL....orange groves and THE best was from avocado groves. Dark, almost molasses tasting, not as strong or bitter. If she's only 1/2 mile away, yes your trees are benefiting from her hives. 👍 Back then the honey was in the $5-6 a lb range. Locally, I see $8-10 from home hives. I like that I KNOW it isn't cut with "other" stuff in the "processing".

I have an 8 am appointment, so better fill my coffee mug and get myself heading out the door in the next 10 minutes! Chores at return.☺️

Today's event will be to move a tote, dig out & refill this Interlopers attempts.....probably groundhog 🙄👎
IMG_20230827_110418917_HDR.jpg

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Spending time with my daughters today.
Us too,, I hope you have a wonderful! day!
Our youngest drove up from portland last evening, ,I have short ribs soaking in yoshida's sauce--corn on the cob from the garden-
DS and DDIL & his 6 kids , who live 4 min away and we havent seen in 2 months:rolleyes: will over--
I will need to make a market run, ,grandma doesnt keep / buy extra, processed fun stuff, but we only have everyone here ??twice a year,
DD#2 is sad cuz she couldnt drive up, shes in grants pass- (massive fires going on down there and all over oregon)
DD#1 is in Mo, so thats not happening
but, DD#3 wants to make a watermelon, mint, lime salad........... DDIL wants fruit for the kids , :bow and we will make a antipasto platter for lunch
it will be a long, loud, blessing of a day.