Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
coffee11.jpg

Happy Monday Y'all!!! Just trying to get going, already had 2 cups of coffee and now drinking a "morning smoothie" while "working" on wedding stuff in front of computer while waiting for the temp to go above 32 so dogs can out to kennel but right now ALL are sleeping peacefully.

But you don't know if in this new set of calves there will be a heifer so I think @farmerjan was just being informative when she wrote all that for you.
Yes, Yes she was, very informative👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's good for them all being steers for this year. No worries for another year.
One suggestion... try to avoid the worst of the summer for calving. There are many more cases of retained placenta in the heat for the cows. No real science behind it, we just see it often in both the beef and dairy cattle.
I like fall calves here to start coming in mid-late August... Gets some good growth on them before the coldest temps come along, and they are eating hay and feed good. Cows also are not having to produce so much milk like when calving in Nov.... seems like ours don't start until Sept or Oct though. The spring calves start in late Feb and I am not a real fan of it... would rather they calve in April when it is warmer and less chance of miserable rain/snow. Seems like that doesn't always happen either....LOL. But we have to get them on the ground so they are up and going good to go to summer pastures by first of May most years...
Of course, we are calving a few more than you are and they don't always read the manual on timing and calving/breeding protocol.....:hide
:lol::lol::gig:gig:gig

you know why they don't know the right timing? they don't go to school (they herd it through the grape vine)... (school vs. herd) ok, well, i'll show myself out... :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One suggestion... try to avoid the worst of the summer for calving. There are many more cases of retained placenta in the heat for the cows. No real science behind it, we just see it often in both the beef and dairy cattle.
I like fall calves here to start coming in mid-late August... Gets some good growth on them before the coldest temps come along, and they are eating hay and feed good.

Or in our case, a late spring, early to mid summer birthing season is idea. This allows sufficent time for the calves to grow out a second coat of hair for winter.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter ; We try to calve in 2 groups... a spring group and a fall group... avoiding June/July/most of August... the worst of the heat... and Dec/Jan/early Feb....worst winter weather USUALLY.....and we are just too busy with hay making and such in summer...... Plus my garden keeps me busier than the last few years when I didn't have one because of the ankle and knee replacements. I like the spring calves because the cows do a better job of milking when out grazing lush spring growth...
But in the fall group, they do get the benefit of our cool season grass growth also... and the flies are less... and we tend to have less pinkeye problems... but if we have drought conditions like last year... then the spring is better for them to get a better start.
As a farmer you GAMBLE on the weather, and hope you get it right.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Still winter -- yep still cold. 🥶Brrrrr. Gotta last another 30 days, then start upswing to Spring. :clap Im a cold wimp. Even my mild winters are challenging.

Frosty out. Chilly in -- heat on, coffee hot. :idunnoBrrrr

Anyone got a good whine song? :lol:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...Anyone got a good whine song? :lol:

Mom was trying to break her sewing machine this morning, i was going to oil it anyways, but we ended up cleaning it a bit too. not sure it is working correctly at higher speeds but she says she doesn't do that anyways. i'm so not a morning person. want to throw the whole thing through the patio door...

how's that? :)