Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter , there is no reason that the cattle your wife is looking at can't go in with the feeder steers. At least until you get ready to do some grain finishing at 60-90 days. Get them all quietly coming in to get a little something to eat. If they are calmer, they will teach the feeder steers to come in, if not, then they will all learn quickly where their food is. And if that smaller yearling heifer is bred, she will need some feed to grow but not too much the last 60 days of pregnancy as that is when the calf does the most growing. She looks a little small to me to be bred. You don't want her to have too big a calf in her to try to deliver.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter , there is no reason that the cattle your wife is looking at can't go in with the feeder steers. At least until you get ready to do some grain finishing at 60-90 days. Get them all quietly coming in to get a little something to eat. If they are calmer, they will teach the feeder steers to come in, if not, then they will all learn quickly where their food is. And if that smaller yearling heifer is bred, she will need some feed to grow but not too much the last 60 days of pregnancy as that is when the calf does the most growing. She looks a little small to me to be bred. You don't want her to have too big a calf in her to try to deliver.
We were going to go look at the mini cows today. But the Tornadoes tore up that area of Kentucky, where they are located. The farmer called my wife saying they were searching for a generator and asked to postpone the visit.

We could not find a good church, so three husband/wife couples started our own, been about about 6 or 7 weeks ago now. We are currently preparing to send a food trailer to Tennessee. Every little bit counts, even if it's free cooked hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries and bottled water. The human body has to eat and drink water.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Lilbitsnpieces

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We were going to go look at the mini cows today. But the Tornadoes tore up that area of Kentucky, where they are located. The farmer called my wife saying they were searching for a generator and asked to postpone the visit.

We could not find a good church, so three husband/wife couples started our own, been about about 6 or 7 weeks ago now. We are currently preparing to send a food trailer to Tennessee. Every little bit counts, even it's free cooked hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries and bottled water. The human body has to eat and drink water.

When i was in Wyoming, we started a "cowboy church"..as most of us were doing chores while regular church was going..and as winter came, most of the chores move up in time as it gets darker earlier and earlier..so we all met on Saturday evenings around 8 through winter..it was fun. We would take turns "giving the sermon" and then since most of us sing and play an instrument, we would jam on gospel for a while...😉How wonderful you can help...I am sure they will appreciate your efforts

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
IDK... but if I were a beef steer, I think I might like these digs. I mean it's not the greatest, but not the worst either. You know a nice tall roof over my head, sweet feed hanging on the gate, 150 gallons of rain water to drink and a feed block to lick. Plus I would get occasional scratches behind the ear from that woman who talks real sweet to me.
IMG_20211212_151500662_HDR~2.jpg

And if that weren't enough and I got real hungry, it's just a short walk up to the top of a hill to munch on a big round of early summer hay.
IMG_20211212_151515673_HDR.jpg

But you know... I'm obviously not a beef steer. Because beef steers are tough and like to lay out in the wide open, even during strong thunder storms. I can almost hear them saying, Ha! Thunder, lightning, strong winds and down pours, I'm a Black Angus Beef Steer! Is that all you got? Plus beef steers like to sleep most of the day. Then about dusk, under the cover of darkness, beef steers grazes the pasture until the sun rises. Then a beef steer lays down and sleeps to start it all it all over again for another day.
IMG_20211212_151558279_HDR.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The "media" "MSM" is all about Mayfield Kentucky. Why I do not know... But the truth is this EF4 or EF5 tornado was on the ground for 212 miles, yes you heard me right, 212 miles! Western Kentucky small towns in it's path, are completely gone! As of a few minutes ago the governor said 80 people in Kentucky lost their lives, it's absolutely horrific 🥺, there are no words for the devastation caused by this tornado, no words accurately describe the devastation.

1John 4:8

Last edited: