Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I
No fruit cake here but we do make and eat Julekaga for the holidays, YUM
had to look it up,
https://www.google.com/search?q=Jul...hrome..69i57.730j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I make a very nice Stollen , I dont use candied , I buy organic dried fruit and soak the fruit almost a week in rum,
But not this year with all of the packing and mess going on. It is one of those things you can make anytime.

this looks like a good recipe, just use the fruit you like
https://www.daringgourmet.com/stollen-german-christmas-bread/

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fruitcake. Some love it, others despise it. I like to buy just a little one this time of the year. I like it, and it brings back fond memories of my mom and grandmother who loved it.

What say you?

love it. all things carbohydrate i adore thee (or theems i guess you'd say? :) )...

all those old fruitcakes that people get as gifts and they never eat i'm quite happy to adopt and eventually eat up and enjoy.

there are as many varieties as you can come up with so i really see no reason why anyone would hate them if you can adapt them to your own tastes. they always have the things in them i like fruits, nuts, spices, sugar, butter, liquors or hooches, aged. expensive to make in large quantities. time consuming, eaten a loving slice at a time. :)

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think I'll cook a spaghetti squash for dinner, W/meatballs and salad.

Tomorrow is dog shower and toenail day. I will wash dog beds and throw rugs today and get the floors done tomorrow after the dogs dry.
Granddaughter #3 will be 10 tomorrow, #1, 18 on Wednesday and grandson #1 20 on Saturday

Last edited:

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
love it. all things carbohydrate i adore thee (or theems i guess you'd say? :) )...

all those old fruitcakes that people get as gifts and they never eat i'm quite happy to adopt and eventually eat up and enjoy.

there are as many varieties as you can come up with so i really see no reason why anyone would hate them if you can adapt them to your own tastes. they always have the things in them i like fruits, nuts, spices, sugar, butter, liquors or hooches, aged. expensive to make in large quantities. time consuming, eaten a loving slice at a time. :)
with hot melted butter :drool

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Tomorrow is dog shower and toenail day. I will wash dog beds and throw rugs today and get the floors done tomorrow after the dogs dry.
It's refreshing to find people online who take good care of their dogs. One of my dogs has an itchy spot and medicated shampoo so either myself or DS14 are bathing her every 3 days. Usually they get bathed once a week. I've neglected their nails and they're so long they click on the floor sometimes. Yikes! It's the most rage-inducing noise I can think of after crinkling/rustling plastic bags. I need to file their nails daily for a few months to get them back into condition but I haven't found time for it.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's refreshing to find people online who take good care of their dogs. One of my dogs has an itchy spot and medicated shampoo so either myself or DS14 are bathing her every 3 days. Usually they get bathed once a week. I've neglected their nails and they're so long they click on the floor sometimes. Yikes! It's the most rage-inducing noise I can think of after crinkling/rustling plastic bags. I need to file their nails daily for a few months to get them back into condition but I haven't found time for it.
It is definitely a work out, my back is not happy for 3 days after.

Ziva, her nails grow so fast. I use to give them showers more often. I think it was you that suggested putting the cotton in Tonys big ears, I forget. But it worked last time. hahaha I used the cotton pads, and every time he shook his head I had to re-put new pads in, but I got through it. He did not get an ear infection. He does great, I can clip his nails and shower him without an issue.
Ziva, I have to medicate, she has always been terrified, I think something pre-8weeks old happened, but I have never been able to help her work through it.
I too hate the clicking, 🙄

I have read that sometimes an itch like that can be a food allergy
after their last bath 11-01
008.jpg002.jpg

I spoil Ziva and let her sleep it off in Daddy's chair, that way Tony leaves her alone. He wants her to get up and play and she is like " go away kid"
017.jpg

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Ziva, I have to medicate, she has always been terrified, I think something pre-8weeks old happened, but I have never been able to help her work through it.
I too hate the clicking, 🙄
There's a fabulous little book that might help Ziva and might reduce your need to medicate her for nails.

There is a Facebook group for the book for free help making progress through the training. The author participates in seminars, so her content can be found as streaming content such as through Fenzi Dog Sport Academy.