Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Have to share!!!

Late afternoon, inside taking a break, looked on CL and see free chickens. A lovely pair of pure crested cream legbars. Family moving. Contemplated the 100 mile round trip, 5 gal gas🤔. But wanted that Blue egg roo! Bit the bullet and went...hey, they sell 35-45 ea around here. Got there and he also says I can have --if I want them- two 50# bags of layer pellets (17.99 ea), two 5 gal waterers (59.99 ea at TSC) and some other feeder stuff!! 😲👍😁😁. Did I want them??? Well, you betcha!

Best deal in a while. :lol: :old :celebrate the chickens are lovely, under two, and pure Greenfire lines. Now I'll collect eggs for a week. Incubate for more pure ones. Then add a couple of my blue egg girls. And they'll have cleared any other roo sperm from system by time first hatch....in time for another batch to incubate, mixed breed but blue eggers. They sell well. Then I'll watch & buy 2 more hens. Back to purebreds.

Strangely, haven't had chickens in this run for about six months, had cleaned out, so ready to roll. Not the norm...must have been meant to be. 😇. Hope her eggs aren't barely tinted.
That was WONDERFUL...... And I can see some of these "cream legbars" in my future this fall.....Great deal.....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is what I saw...
IMG_20220618_165505140_HDR~3.jpg

So I opened the gate and walked right up to them and said "What you guys on strike or what? Why aren't you grazing? Remember our little pep talk? You guys gotta eat all this grass by the end of summer" Brisket moo'ed at me and they all got up, stretched their legs, walked out in the pasture and turned their back side at me. Cows on strike? Whoever heard of such a thing? What's the world come to 🙄😂

IMG_20220618_173558520_HDR.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's cool and dry this morning....only low 60s now! 😲. Going to mid 70s, barely!! What? Still windy. 🤷. Thanks Canada ... Gonna hang here a few days. Strange weather after 98s last few. I'll take it but, strange. 🤣🤣

My two new residents. 😁. They are not the best layer breed but I'll cross him onto my other blue layers who are great layers! He's handsome though. I have a black hen and three whites who lay blue, should be interesting outcome for chicks. 😊. Thanks to my brown layer type roos, plus my broody hens, I have several laying mint green eggs. 🤣. Makes collecting eggs fun.

00J0J_6q1U49VFeUKz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00P0P_lVDqLtnSc14z_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses Blue eggs, green eggs, olive eggs and the dark brown eggs really make a carton of eggs pop. Breed that rooster to some dark brown egg layers and get olive eggers, or any brown egg layer for that matter. Welsummer hens lay a speckled dark egg, bred to a blue roo, the olive eggs will have speckles too. You are going to have some fun with this!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule

Fun farming you say??? Yes...our reward for years of work :lol: :lol: :love

Seeded some of those pink banana squash yesterday -- thinking of you as I did! My goats and chickens will be happy....I put out 14 seed. You KNOW how many I will be picking!!!!! :lol::lol::th:th:th:drool. More fun. 🤣

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW! You will have a TON of squash! I only had 3 vines and was covered up. I machete chopped them daily for the sheep and they devoured the squash. They make real good pumpkin pies too!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah. I knew YOU would know how many I'll have! :lol: plus, butternut started. I had 2 vines of butternut a couple yrs ago and over 100# of squash! But. They kept well for months and we're eaten by me, the goats and chickens. I have plenty of room to grow them! Looking at winter food treats for animals.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Using cream legbars works good for breeding. Legbars and ameraucana are crossed with leghorns to make super blue egg layers. Get a more prolific layer of larger eggs.

I believe the color pack layers they sell at feed stores used legbars to get the blue egg gene.

I've finally got hens that look like silkies and lay light green eggs. That's at 4th generation back cross. Another few generations and they will look like my silkies I breed for show. I used a wheaten ameraucana to add the blue in. The blue isn't stable yet. The hens are only carrying one copy. I may finally have a cockerel good enough to use. He's also 4th gen from a green egg and is looking good for 8 weeks. Hopefully he's carry a blue copy. Test breeding isn't hard to do, just takes time.

People always talked about making a silkie that laid an egg to go with the blue earlobes. I hadn't heard of anyone actually doing it. Since silkies lay a light tan (concidered tinted) the light green is closest can get. The eggs are bluer than the silver ameraucana eggs I used to get. Its all within compliance with the ameraucana egg color chart. Wide variety of blues and to mint green allowed.

20220524_181201.jpg