Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I react to the strangest things sometimes. I do read food labels because some things I know cause issues.

Like I can't eat most commercial bread because of the dough conditioners. Mom kept going on and on about how I was probably celiac but I have zero issue with pasta. Many pastries are just fine as well, though we prefer the Korean bakery up north of us as they have great stuff.

I've asked a couple doctors about it and was told I just have chemical sensitivity to certain things. Stay away from it if it bothers me too much. Like with baking soda on my skin causing burns, but ingested isnt an issue.
Fascinating. Especially that you can EAT baking soda, but can't let it touch you.

My usual issue with alcohol is the "natural flavor" ingredient. It usually contains polysorbate, which doesnt agree with me at all.

Besides for specific ingredients, some people have issues with sulfites, histamine, mold, or the food used to make the alcohol, such as a corn allergy or celiac. Plenty of options to keep you guessing for a while :gig

Almost forgot - another possibility is marginal thiamine (vitamin B1) status. I couldn't tolerate more than a sip of alcohol before I started taking thiamine. Happy side effect :gig

Huh! I bet that is the issue! "Natural flavor". I REALLY need to take notes.....

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fascinating. Especially that you can EAT baking soda, but can't let it touch you.

It is. I ended up at medical acute care from taking a bath with Calgon before I knew I had the issue. Let's just say having the equivalent of a nasty sunburn over your entire body other than head sucks. You don't want burns on certain parts of your body. I was given lotion for it and told to come back the next day so a doctor could write up light duty and re-evaluate care.

Got burned again several times working at the pretzel shop as they use water and baking soda for a lot of things. Eventually had to quit when I couldn't get the blisters to heal. Tried making laundry soap that used baking soda. Nope. Couldn't wear the clothes even with a vinegar rinse. Had to wash them twice to get it out.

Haven't tried again and I'm careful when I use baking soda to clean.

I can put baking soda in my mouth and nothing. I've had to use it for heartburn when didn't have anything else.

I wonder if thats my issue with deodorants. I react badly to them.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Reading this while having coffee, realizing just how fortunate I am.

My worst issue - aging changes your taste buds a little. I can deal with that! It's mainly just your tolerance or perception to salt, sugar, heat of seasoning, bitter, etc. And mine is mild, mostly the intensity. At least I'm not a member of the knee of the month club! 😂🤭 Golly, there's so much going on out there that isn't "everyday".

My grandma could handle tomatoes but NOT the plant leaves. Mom always said it was just so she didn't have to pick them...."made us kids do it". In reality, the plant oils DID break her out but fruits didn't. Some things are strange to accept, seeming not plausible.

Moral of the story......is there one? 🤔 Maybe be your own advocate -- even if others doubt.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finished clipping T-posts yesterday morning. Friends came at 2PM and he went to work. I sanded, he swirled mud and it was perfection. Artistry in wallboard, a beautiful thing to watch. In 3 hours he was done, a little light sanding and I’ll be ready to rock n’ roll. We went to Groveton and I bought their supper, got home at 7:30, exhausted.

I fed dogs and sheep, came in and it was HOT. Brand new AC wasn’t running AC guy is on his way. Tile guy coming today to do backsplash at sons house. A day off for me!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
⬆️agree.....do something easy and slow.

I'm canning...and/or stuffing a big pan of peppers for freezer meals. 👍. I'll do enough for both of us to feel tired. 😊

It's overcast, a humid 75 now, very wet from downpour late yesterday. Went to produce auction and bought a couple things cheap. Rain kept many buyers home. My win. But I didn't need their squash, zuc, eggplant, corn, grn beans, etc. Got potatoes and green peppers. Came home. 😇