Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I woke up at 4:00, got up and washed dishes. I was out of clean coffee mugs. Been too tired to care. I wake up tired, go to bed exhausted. Finished taping and floating, today I’ll sand what I did yesterday and touch up. Need to tape off and cover with plastic what I don’t want sprayed with Kilz. Light fixtures, bathtubs, shower, cabinets in kitchen and bathrooms, etc. Hiring a guy to come do the spraying, my chemical issues say I don’t need to do that. Hopefully I can get all the prep done in 2-3 days and get it sprayed.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got some rain last night and it is a nice sticky 66F this morning-headed to the upper 70s and humid. 80s for the rest of the week so not too hot but humid, which for me is worse.

@baymule hope you are getting some good rest-sounds like you are doing so much!

Well, I lost the last baby chick to hatch overnight-it barely opened it's eyes or walked yesterday at all after a 10 am hatch. I had tried some sugar water and it took a couple sips but would just lay. Found it dead under mama this morning---the rest (5) are doing great!

Question--when can I let mama outside to dust bathe and eat properly? 2 were born Friday, 1 Sat and then 2 yesterday morning. Can I just grab her out of their brooder spot in the coop and let her run free for a bit or won't she do that? Also, when do I open up the brooder and let them out? I am planning on just removing one of the HC sides but leaving the other 3 for security feelings for the first week they are allowed to roam. Thoughts? We are gone all day on this upcoming Sat so I won't be around to watch them but I feel that 7 days is a long time for mama to not be integrated with the rest of the flock. The other hens are doing great, they come up and look and listen but have hardly spent any time in the coop other than to check in once and awhile and lay. First time with chicks-so thanks

Only 4 more weeks until school starts here and I haven't done any back to school shopping, nor have I even received any information from the schools yet-seems late. I might need to call and see what is happening.

Back to desk job today through Thursday, I wish I didn't have to work outside the home but someone has to pay the bills :) lol

hope you all have a great day! stay safe and thanks be to the Lord!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule you are correct ... Chemicals and you. Are you spraying paint or rolling? Maybe have same guy do paint. Over with! 🤷 Even if you then had some trimout, just time.

I'm having my coffee, contemplating having to go back to job work today. 😬. Probably only 2.5 days this week. But next week, there's 75 hrs on my portal!!🤣🤣🤣. Yeah, gonna move some jobs. 👍😋. But Aug-Sep is heavy jobs again. 🤨🤷. Fence $. 😁

Need to get milking and feeding done....then to work. Everyone enjoy your day!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HRH Princess Pixie Poopsalot had decided enough with the canning already.
View attachment 19752

that's about how i feel right now, but i have a few chores i gotta get done before i can get back to loafing about. no gumption at all today - ooh pretty birds! :) nice clouds too. hmm, what's for breakfast? i think i need to trim my fingernails... etc...

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Question--when can I let mama outside to dust bathe and eat properly? 2 were born Friday, 1 Sat and then 2 yesterday morning. Can I just grab her out of their brooder spot in the coop and let her run free for a bit or won't she do that? Also, when do I open up the brooder and let them out? I am planning on just removing one of the HC sides but leaving the other 3 for security feelings for the first week they are allowed to roam. Thoughts?

If there is enough space, I would keep them in the small space until Sunday.

But you said "eat properly", isn't there feed and water in the brooder spot?

As to how much brooder to remove.... the problem with leaving sides up is that chicks can get stuck on the wrong side.

Some people put up something like a creep feeder in their coop. So, 2x4 fencing will keep out grown chickens, but chicks can run in and out... if you think the chicks might be bullied...

I have raised many broodies and chicks with the flock... in many different ways.

How it works is HUGELY dependant on how good a broody you have... as well as the rest of the flock personalities.

But... waiting at least three days after the last to hatch (so the youngest can run well and keep up) is good. Waiting a week is a bit safer.

Just make sure you are there for most of the day on the day you let them out. You need to make sure the broody will mother properly, the flock respond properly, and the chicks keep up with mom.

Check every night too, after everyone roosts. Some broodies will abandon the chicks to go perch......

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Hinotori sounds good, I can keep her there til Sunday, though there isn't space to add a dust bath- maybe but it will be tight, I might be able to get a cake pan in there for her. I can also be with her all day and my girls to help as well. I have one hen that I am on the fence how she will act.

She does have food, though just seems focused on feeding the babies, which I guess is a good thing.

Built a ramp today and we just had a cinder block for the gals to get in and out of and it is about a 6 inch hop down, so no way a baby is getting back up!

Thanks again for all your help

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have no idea about this booze and age thing.....

I have developed an allergy to some booze... I haven't figured it out yet...

But some booze makes me all congested... and other booze is just fine.

:idunno

I have cut down to only a few known to be ok red wine, and vodka. (Not in the same glass... 🤣 )

But last week I had some vodka mixed with crystal light and got horrid congested... I need to drink some crystal light all by itself... I never drink that stuff...