Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You can have it ALL!!!!!! I will stand outside with the shop fan and blow it in your direction! I LOVE the winters where we don't get snow until a couple days before Christmas.
My FH would love ALL the snow seeing how the company he works for does snow (includes ICE, PLOWING, SANDING, BRINING, SALTING) removal during "SNOW SEASON" and it's a good money per hour, Sometimes he brings home a bigger SNOW CHECK than a regular pay check.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Snow? No, no, no!! We get a little ... I've had frosts that look whiter.😁. Fine with me. No equipment to handle much in area since 3" is a huge event here!

That said, we get a "12" blizzard" every 10-15 yrs. Its scary that we're pushing that timeline. :idunno :old all the unusual happenings...this could be the year. Sure hope not!! I don't like snow in my yard.

Today, a 58-60 temp. Normal for area & time of year. 👍

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
A 3” snow is a big deal here too. No equipment to clear the roads, so everything shuts down. Seldom get snow here.
I can believe it! When I was a kid, my family drove through Alabama after 1" of snow. Crazy dangerous- people didn't know how to drive in snow and were sliding all over the roads

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Mini Horses I live in Va also. Yes, I agree that anything over 3" shuts the state down but we just can't control where or how the weather is going to affect us. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but FH told me last night that for our area we're going to be getting a storm the weekend of Dec 9th.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm very thankful the hay around here was cut both in spring and summer, before the rains dried up and we have a local abundance \o/

We were in severe drought, with the very southern tip of Illinois (where the Mississippi and Ohio rivers meet) under extreme drought. Still with all this drought business, we were fortunate. In comparison to just west of us. Brown color = Exceptional Drought, Red color = Extreme Drought. My prayers are with all impacted by drought.
That pic is after getting a lot of rain this past month. I couldn't get hay in July. I wanted 24 round bales, looked at price and decided maybe 16 and a lot more grain this winter. I finally got 8 last week. 4 from 2 different people. There was a sign at the gas station in July for square bales while they were still bailing. Price said $8 or $7 if 50 or more bales. I called and it was $10 a bale for 50. Also last week I spent $12 for some light square hay from the feed store.
Snow? No, no, no!! We get a little ... I've had frosts that look whiter.😁. Fine with me. No equipment to handle much in area since 3" is a huge event here!

That said, we get a "12" blizzard" every 10-15 yrs. Its scary that we're pushing that timeline. :idunno :old all the unusual happenings...this could be the year. Sure hope not!! I don't like snow in my yard.

Today, a 58-60 temp. Normal for area & time of year. 👍
Wasn't it just a few winters ago in VA that a main hwy got shutdown for days. Many people out of gas and freezing. I will say VA, WV, and parts of OH and PA have some VERY curvy, hilly roads that are not good when slick. I was looking forward to spending this winter in VA.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
image_6483441.JPG

I am still in resting up mode from all of last weeks family fun

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
getting a storm the weekend of Dec 9th.
Uhhhh, hope he gets lots of "snow time $"😁. Not near me, please. 1.5 hr makes a huge difference.
just a few winters ago in VA that a main hwy got shutdown for days. Many people out of gas and freezing
Yes, parts of I95 I believe...but, north & west of me. I'm coastal. Close to VA Beach & Norfolk. So the Chesapeake bay and Atlantic ocean keep a lot of snow away. Generally these are noreasters gone frigid. :hide