Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
All this talk of snow made me look at the forecast. Look at Sunday high, low 46F and 70% chance of snow? I'm no meteorologist, but am I wrong, when I say this defies common sense? 🤔
Makes sense to me! I don't get much snow in January because its too cold to snow 🤣

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can believe it! When I was a kid, my family drove through Alabama after 1" of snow. Crazy dangerous- people didn't know how to drive in snow and were sliding all over the roads

Back in early 2000s, we were driving back to Virginia from Texas one Christmas and heavier snow had hit the east coast the night before and that day. All was good until we hit Charlotte, NC. I think the highway normally has 4 lanes going through, but it had 7 lanes that day because people couldn't see the road through the ice sheet. There was lots of speeding and after a semi almost killed us sideways, I made hubby take the next exit. Told him I'd find a way home. Luckily the atlas did show well enough to take back roads. Foot of snow is much easier to drive in than the ice sheet.

We got back on the freeway on the other side of the city. No traffic really because they were all stuck in a big accident now. We saw it on the news the next day and were glad we got off when we did.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Back in early 2000s, we were driving back to Virginia from Texas one Christmas and heavier snow had hit the east coast the night before and that day. All was good until we hit Charlotte, NC. I think the highway normally has 4 lanes going through, but it had 7 lanes that day because people couldn't see the road through the ice sheet. There was lots of speeding and after a semi almost killed us sideways, I made hubby take the next exit. Told him I'd find a way home. Luckily the atlas did show well enough to take back roads. Foot of snow is much easier to drive in than the ice sheet.

We got back on the freeway on the other side of the city. No traffic really because they were all stuck in a big accident now. We saw it on the news the next day and were glad we got off when we did.
WOW. Thank goodness you got out of there when you did!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Just got phone calls--both girls schools are closing early today! DD8 will need to ride the bus home as I am not going out in this stuff :)
No luck here. :gig It's just slow and steady. No closings here. DS15 wants to go to the library, so I hope the roads are clear-enough. It's been slow enough the plows can keep up. I just wonder how much they let accumulate in between each pass.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Makes sense to me! I don't get much snow in January because its too cold to snow 🤣

it can be very cold up high in those clouds...

what is very wild is when you live close to a lake or have other chances of lake effect or other snow falls where you can look up and there's not a cloud in the sky, but it is still snowing because of how moisture can condense out of the air.

some of my fondest memories of up north are walking on nights of full moon, not any clouds at all and snow drifting down. sometimes it was so quiet i could even hear it landing.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And here I am, way further north than the rest of you all, and though we keep snowing, it has, so far, only been a bit at a time.

So all good!

And not just good, but excellent since we hired out our bobcat that we use for snow removal. The bobcat is coming back in January. We usually get our huge snow falls February to April... :fl

I finally got my tires swapped out today. Sheesh! Prices keep going up!! (Duh) anyway, it is done.

Then I spent even more money to get a present sent to older sis (actually about to do that...I am sitting having a bit of lunch right now).

Here are some photos from the last few weeks.

20221125_145350.jpg
20221124_110656.jpg
20221123_164000.jpg

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I and FH are doing great. Absolutely positively loving the new house.
Will you @Trying2keepitReal PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE send snow my way?
BITE YOUR TONGUE..... we do not want any snow until 3 days before Christmas, only want 6-8 inches so the guys can get it plowed and everyone does not have to be out in it plowing for the state on the holiday...:hidehide).

Last edited: