Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I best go buy some snow shoes, shorts and tank tops in preparation for Monday.
Screenshot_20221201-101654.png

Edit ..
Cancel the snow shoes, I installed a new app.
Screenshot_20221201-205648.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Foot of snow is much easier to drive in than the ice sheet.
YES, yes it is. I keep hearing yankees saying that southerns can't drive in the snow. Ask why does everything shut down with such little snow. Well it's little snow because it was 70 yesterday and it started as rain, then wet, wet, wet snow then snow that's still melting as it hits, (I think if like what just hit NY those couple of inches of rain could be over 4' of snow) THEN a little snow sticks and the rain is freezing on the road in the 12 degrees. The power lines look low enough that you can walk up and touch them.

Last time I was in N.D. in Jan I saw cars every half mile in the median or ditch. New hire drug test a couple of hours later, same thing just different cars, an hour later half new cars. After work all new cars again. I was 22 hours NORTH of my house (16ish the rest west) and I had no problems and have never seen that many cars in the ditch anywhere in the south.
And wow... trying to snow at 50F??
If in front of that cold front, not that hard. Upper air temps possibly/probably sub zero with well below freezing air being blown in.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
YES, yes it is. I keep hearing yankees saying that southerns can't drive in the snow. Ask why does everything shut down with such little snow. Well it's little snow because it was 70 yesterday and it started as rain, then wet, wet, wet snow then snow that's still melting as it hits, (I think if like what just hit NY those couple of inches of rain could be over 4' of snow) THEN a little snow sticks and the rain is freezing on the road in the 12 degrees. The power lines look low enough that you can walk up and touch them.

Last time I was in N.D. in Jan I saw cars every half mile in the median or ditch. New hire drug test a couple of hours later, same thing just different cars, an hour later half new cars. After work all new cars again. I was 22 hours NORTH of my house (16ish the rest west) and I had no problems and have never seen that many cars in the ditch anywhere in the south.

If in front of that cold front, not that hard. Upper air temps possibly/probably sub zero with well below freezing air being blown in.

Or the idiots from flat states who say people in Seattle can't drive in snow and it's easy. Usually the same idiots who recommend stick shifts for driving in Seattle. I tune into the news after snows because they have a highlight reel of people who ignore signs and just know they can get their vehicle up those slick hills.

DzGK7-UVYAcn6Mc.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grew up in northeastern Oregon. Freezing rain was more likely than snow. Lots of 2 hour delays for chaining busses. To decide if school would be canceled, someone would have to try and drive a bus up the hill from Umatilla to McNary. If it was a particularly heavy rain, they'd just cancel and not bother. Getting iced in was common. Sometimes could get up the smaller hill into Hermiston from McNary and sometimes couldnt. Forget about trying the road to Walla Walla. After the hot gravel trucks would go by you could at least get to town. Most places don't use the hot gravel, even though it provides awesome traction on ice. It damages roads if not removed immediately after it starts melting. Small towns don't have an issue since not as many roads.

It boggled my mind when I first was in Virginia Beach, Virginia and they put sand on the iced roads. Not salt and sand, just sand. My experience of sand on ice was the one year some "smart" person at the school decided to sand the iced sidewalks. We learned to walk in the grass real fast. Oil wouldn't have been slicker. Maintenance guys had to heat up the steps with a torch so they could remove the sand.

Mom has told stories about winter in Pendleton when she was in college. It's got lots of steep hills. Her apartment was on one. Had to park at the bottom of the hill much of the winter.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Enjoying the different perspectives. Here, lake effect snow is a difficult adjustment. Depending on your direction of travel and the bands, you can be in sunshine and blue skies to whiteout conditions and inches of snow. The variable snow fall makes it difficult for road crews to prepare and react.