Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I finally finished my small utility room shelves. 61 1/2” long, 29” deep, various heights to fit what I have. I’ll eventually put up a curtain but right now I just want to admire.

View attachment 21744

The pantry, with the stupid 10” wide openings, is now empty. I can unpack more boxes.

View attachment 21745
I love your new shelves...

But that old pantry with the tiny openings would drive me nuts... I would rip the front face off.

But then I also have zero closet doors. I hate storage behind doors. Doors eat up so much space.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Anytime I talk to the younger cattle, to try and gain their trust. T-Bone's gotta get his neck pats and behind his ears scratched. You would think the younger ones would follow his lead. But no, I have to win their trust one by one.

My wife said aww... and showed me a picture of Ribeye and T-Bone from when we first got them. They were about the size of romeo.

Well T-Bone ain't so little anymore See T-Bone coming up in the rear. He started off growing slow, but he grew a lot late summer into fall, during the drought even. Now it's the beginning of winter and he's a big steer.
IMG_20221212_142642760~2.jpg

I was finally able to treat romeo with pour on cattle ivermectin. He seems good and healthy.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@tortoise we have the generator all gassed up here, but haven't had to use it in the winter yet--we did use it twice this summer after a couple storms. Road were junk last night, we went to plow at our property 10 min north and I ended up having to push out DH's vehicle from the driveway and pull him up a hill that he got stuck on (good ole Subaru!)

Kids have another late start today--day 3. We have about 9 inches of the heavy wet snow, looks pretty but that is about it. Going to get COLD here starting tomorrow, we have projected highs of 0F-yep 0F for highs. DD8 said that is not a high! haha

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That weather would mean closure of schools here...and most everything else😱. Yeah, BAD temps. BAD snow. Hard to do chores. Heated water tubes for sure....lotta prayers to get melted!!

I just couldn't do that weather. Nope. :oops: :idunno🥶☃️

40 here, going to low to mid 50s. Pretty average this time of year. Colder Jan/Feb ... 30-40 days are average. All I want/can handle. :old

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@tortoise we have the generator all gassed up here, but haven't had to use it in the winter yet--we did use it twice this summer after a couple storms. Road were junk last night, we went to plow at our property 10 min north and I ended up having to push out DH's vehicle from the driveway and pull him up a hill that he got stuck on (good ole Subaru!)

Kids have another late start today--day 3. We have about 9 inches of the heavy wet snow, looks pretty but that is about it. Going to get COLD here starting tomorrow, we have projected highs of 0F-yep 0F for highs. DD8 said that is not a high! haha
Wow, your cold is hitting fast. We have 2 days with highs in the 20's before the single digits and below-zero lows. Today will be colder than yesterday's forecast predicted. Bummer, that makes animal chores more difficult.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I finally finished my small utility room shelves. 61 1/2” long, 29” deep, various heights to fit what I have. I’ll eventually put up a curtain but right now I just want to admire.

View attachment 21744

The pantry, with the stupid 10” wide openings, is now empty. I can unpack more boxes.

View attachment 21745

What a great job you did!!

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Uff, drive carefully. Its bad over here. Trees down on roads, widespread power outage, etc.

We got 8" heavy wet snow. Its gorgeous! I'm thankful for the luxury of being able to stay home.

I'm also thankful the luxury of a generator! This is the first winter power outage since we got the generator. The difference is my anxiety is huuuge. What a relief!

I filled buckets and pitchers with water, took food and drinks out of the fridge and popped them into snow so we don't have to open the fridge when the generator is off, get no-cook food from the basement while we have light, etc.

When power outages are this widespread it could be a couple days. We should beable to run the generator every day, but not constantly.
Good work, its good to be prepared for these things,

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Rain and freezing mess out there. Temps in the 30-32 range and there is ice on all the trees and bushes. Saw the state road crew truck go by out there a few minutes ago. Traffic is minimal. I am staying home.
It was 28 when I got up at 5:30 this morning. Now its 25....clear icy and cold for us!

Praying you all stay warm and you do well through this. 🥰