Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lovely morning. Clear and only 20 -- going to 50. That's a decent winter day here. 😊

Coffee is hot and plentiful. Usual caffeine start.

3 more days until 2023....kidding starts in a month, garden starts need to happen, too. Making plans. Getting ready. 😁

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
25 up to 45 so far. Sun out and really decent out there. Feels warm compared to what we had. Chickens out of crate and doing their thing.
Got another mouse on the sticky trap.... I keep trying to whittle them down...

Water about half thawed... think that it is frozen in the storage tank since it quickly slows down when I turn on the faucets; and the pump is not kicking on.... but I hope that will get solved as it warms up again today. I think that there is enough still frozen in the tank that it is not registering the drop in pressure .... no water on the floor or anywhere that I can see in the crawl space/basement part so don't think there are any busted pipes.... DS is hopefully going to go down there this evening to see and maybe get a heater hooked up to keep it above freezing down there in the future. Don't know what electrical outlets are/aren't available down there. I cannot get down there due to not being able to kneel on knees since the replacements. It is something that I never anticipated happening... trying to figure out a way to work around it.

Have a scratchy throat... trying to not get any worse. GRRR

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good late morning it's 49 degrees, partly sunny, wind 14mph with gusts Upto 34.7mph.

Now that the cold has passed and I no longer need the wood stove. I'm going to work on fashioning a charcoal sifting screen. There's lots of charcoal mixed with ash in the wood stove. I can reuse this charcoal to refire the wood stove, use it to cook in the BBQ grill, filter water In case of an emergency, etc... There's lots of uses for charcoal and I didn't want to waste it.
IMG_20221228_115135132.jpg

Ephesians 6:12
Luke 6:27-38

I hope you have an enjoyable day!!!

Jesus is Lord and Christ πŸ™β€οΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been studying up on beef cuts. Sirloin so confusing... I got bone-in steaks back from the processor, labeled " Beef Sirloin Steak". I also got some back "Beef Sirloin Tip Roast". I guess the steaks are the portion of sirloin from the back bone, since they are bone-in? The roasts must be from below the tender loin.

I would like to know the best way to cook these "Beef sirloin steaks", iron skillet (pan sear) or BBQ grill are my two options, Please advise.
d2d3ec6b15bbb354a4bcbf35bdcec7df.jpg

1200px-BeefCutTopSirloin.svg.png

Thanks πŸ‘

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...I can reuse this charcoal to refire the wood stove, use it to cook in the BBQ grill, filter water In case of an emergency, etc...

i don't think the charcoal you get from a wood fire is the same as activated charcoal used for water filters, but you can check me on that...

it also is good to crush somewhat and then run it through your compost pile and then of course add it to gardens.

the chunks of charcoal that come along with the wood ashes we get i don't sift or do too much with but as i'm out in the gardens sometimes i'll smash them with my feet or chop at them with the shovel to help break them into smaller pieces.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dark again already... Another day has come and gone. Time in earth sure does fly. I'm starting to question what's the purpose of these short days of my life in plant earth? Deep questions require deep answers. I know who to turn too for the answers.

Most all snow has melted today, some still left that drifted and in shady spots.
Cattle took a "jog" around both pasture fence rows. It was enjoyable to watch them enjoying their day. At first I thought to myself the cattle have gone plum nutty. But I watched and quickly came to the conclusion that this was just their way of being happy that the sun was shining with warmer temps, and that they were just enjoying the day.

Romeo is starting to "beef up" filling out nicely. Weight gain is harder to do in the winter months. Because there's limited fresh grasses for them to graze. But so far so good. His coat shines and is soft to the touch, so I'm happy about that.
IMG_20221228_154317372.jpg

Nugget and romeo, the two youngest males, just couldn't enjoy their day enough. So they decided to go head to head to try and determine the answer to an age old question. Who's the bigger cattle? πŸ™„
IMG_20221228_154743120~2.jpg

I enjoyed my day πŸ‘ I took a walk around with my hunting dog and my neighbors black lab named ninnie joined us. I believe we all enjoyed the sun and warmer temps, I know I did 😊. I decided to sharpen my chainsaw chains and clear some underbrush tomorrow.

Sub zero temperatures put a hurting on the Brussels Sprouts. We'll see what spring brings and hope for a rebound.
IMG_20221228_120151334.jpg

I also went and checked on our rental house. Checked the water leak detector, no leaks. Ran the water in the faucets, show & tub and flushed the toilets. The previous tenants left a trash can with no lid. I discovered today that someone placed the lid on the back porch. Have no idea who did that, but I thank them for it.

I hope you enjoyed your day also πŸ‘

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And here we are -- looking at ice and snow. Its almost 2023....almost time to set up for plant starts for the next attempts. The cycle continues. πŸ€—

My goats have been walking my garden, fertilizing as they go. Barn clean outs loom. I'm looking for a windless day to burn stubble in that garden spot, some old cardboard, etc. Time to start collecting big boxes from work! Cardboard aisles await.

Yep, 2023 is coming!! Winter is when we plan. :old 😁