Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good late morning, slept like a rock, woke at 7:00 AM feel awesome \o/ it's January 3rd, currently 60 degrees, overcast, winds are from the south. We had lots of rain overnight, thunder and lightning, tornado warning storms. Complete with tornado sirens going off in the distance. No tornado damage here, Thank You Almighty ☝️

I noticed a few days ago the spinach that my wife pulled up by the roots is coming back. I sowed the row heavy with 3 different open pollinated varieties, some were old seeds. I just find it odd that, spinach seed I sowed in fall, is growing now, even after the cold sub zero temperatures we had before Christmas. I'm not complaining though ☝️
IMG_20230103_104347182.jpg

Psalm 23:5

I hope you enjoy your day 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was wanting to plant some spinach again in November but couldn't find any seeds. October would have been better though. I was just wanting it for cover, figuring it would have made until that subzero we all got. May have even got to eat some.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was wanting to plant some spinach again in November but couldn't find any seeds. October would have been better though. I was just wanting it for cover, figuring it would have made until that subzero we all got. May have even got to eat some.
I looked back I sowed this row of spinach Sept 17 2022 . I took all the seed packs of spinach I had and combined them all into a small jar. Hoed a shallow furrow, sowed the seeds and raked the soil back into the furrow. Farm babe pulled all the spinach November 18 2022, before the first killing frost, the row was clean after she was done. She stripped all the good leaves, blanched the leaves and froze them in quart baggies. Then a few days ago I seen spinach growing in the row 🤔 it's the strangest thing... how it or the seeds survived sub zero temperatures and a few inches of snow is a complete mystery to me. But there it is, growing right where I sowed it back in Sept 17 2022.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
squash processing didn't go well as most were not edible. tossed about 90 lbs on the weed pile so the critters can eat them. cooked up a buttercup for dinner and also some chunks of another that was ok, finishing up cooking the rest of the chunks now and we'll eat that over the next few days. so nada makes it into the freezer for this year. :( good thing we have some left from the previous season. :)

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
squash processing didn't go well as most were not edible. tossed about 90 lbs on the weed pile so the critters can eat them. cooked up a buttercup for dinner and also some chunks of another that was ok, finishing up cooking the rest of the chunks now and we'll eat that over the next few days. so nada makes it into the freezer for this year. :( good thing we have some left from the previous season. :)
Frustrating!

Were they not properly ripe, or for whatever reason didn't store right?