Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Grandmas Porch sounds like you are going to have an AMAZING day and you'll be exhausted later tonight so enjoy, have fun and just relish in these moments.
FH and I don't have any kids (I do have an older son [he's 26 now but lives in NY]) but we're going to host the last SUMMER BBQ tomorrow for our friends who are closer to us than our actual families and they have kids/grandkids they bring so yup it's going to be a long exhausting day tomorrow and more than likely going to end up that way today seeing how today is prep day as soon as we make a couple errand runs.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good day, I hope everyone has a blessed day in earth. Luke 17:20-21

Udder inspection yesterday evening.

Oreo's udder is starting to noticably enlarge now. hard telling early on with cows I reckon.
IMG_20230901_193002488.jpg

Bessey's udder continues to enlarge also. Hefiers appear to be easier to identify pregnancy early on, atleast for me. And Mr. Romeo "I did that" red bull, appears to be grinning about it all.
IMG_20230901_172908959~2.jpg

Daisy was being camera shy yesterday. But previous udder inspection showed enlargement positive. I could see yesterday from a far.

We are Blessed to have them, Thank You Almighty ❤️

Neighbor has the combine fired up, must be getting close to harvest season in the heartland.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seen a older lady pulled over on the side of a back country road while on my way to town. I stopped and asked if she was ok. She was, and just pulled over to talk on her phone (smart!).

But when I pulled in behind her, I noticed she sells honey. She told me where her hives are. I've seen them about a 1/2 mile away as the bee flys from me, so local honey. She's actually my neighbor, that I just met. She has multiple hives, I would say 8 fully stacked hives that I can see from the road driving by. Her honey bees are probably partly responsible for pollinating my orchard and gardens.

She showed me one of her plastic food grade containers. Label said Raw Honey, ingredients Honey. it's was very dark, she said $12.00 a lb and that she delivers.

Afterwards, I was at rural king, seen 3 lbs, 100% light looking honey on a end cap for $9.99.

I didn't buy any honey today at all. I don't mind paying a little more to help support local. But $10 for 3 lbs vs $12 for 1 lb is not a little more, its a whole lot more. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 24481

3 pounds for $10? I’d be suspicious of that. Where fit it come from and what’s in it? Real light? Could have corn syrup in it.

In Lindale there was an old man with a peach orchard. His early spring honey smelled and tasted lightly like peaches. I paid $20 for a quart jar.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
3 pounds for $10? I’d be suspicious of that. Where fit it come from and what’s in it? Real light? Could have corn syrup in it.

In Lindale there was an old man with a peach orchard. His early spring honey smelled and tasted lightly like peaches. I paid $20 for a quart jar.
A quart of honey is about 3 lbs. So you paid $6.66 a lb. I would have insisted to pay $21 for a quart or $7.00 a lb, but that's just me 😁

Screenshot_20230902-150848.png

I'll look more closely at the 3lb for $10 rural king honey, next time I'm there.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Spent a chunk of the day at a board game Cafe. Played 6 different games (all new to us). When the kids were little, we used to play board games a lot. Stopped at a Hungarian bakery/pastry shop on the way home. Great day.
20230902_110421.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coffee is good. Dogs woke me up at 2:30, barking at the coyotes. Then they had a howling sing along contest. Don’t know who won, but it sure wasn’t me. After I was wide awake, they all shut up.

Been examining fecal samples from my sheep, under the microscope. I worked them in April, sheep had very low counts. I have culled and bred for parasite resistance. BUT this summer has been stressful, and very hard on them. No rain, drought, 100-112 degrees for 2 months, on dry lot, some ewes had lambs on them, and the Barber Pole worms have had a party. Counts are high, not terrible, but not where they normally are.

I’ll run them through the chute this morning, and worm them. then I’ve got to go to Conroe to meet DD and family to pick up my granddaughters for the week.