Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
36402060_1907893752601323_8947613897838297088_n.jpg

Its a nice 52 out,
Coffees great!
Going to try and get the last pile of wood chips from the neighbors. It is a ?5min? walk
and a slight up kill coming back.
I need to mix up a loaf of sourdough to go with my pot of
chicken; black bean; potato soup.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter .... were you afraid that she wouldn't have colostrum for the calf? I would not introduce any outside colostrum replacer to a calf if the cow is making milk. Different if it isn't nursing, or if she doesn't have any milk or anything.
Make sure that it is Colostrum REPLACER not supplement... the supplement is only for cows with not enough... although in your case it would be okay... but it does not have the full strength antibodies... and once you open the bag of colostrum replacer, it will not keep its full strength... due to "breaking the seal" of the bag... but you could rebag it and stick it in the freezer for any future use....
And do not overfeed the calf or it will develop scours from too much, too rich milk. You can overdue the amount fed... especially early on... But if it is nursing the cow and isn't following her around or bawling like it is hungry then do not feed it... Calves will nurse frequently and only a little at a time... especially the smaller breeds....a first calf heifer's colostrum will not be as strong in antibodies as an older cows will be... but it will provide what the calf needs because she has been exposed to "your farm's germs".....

Glad that she had it with no problem and is taking care of it as she should... that is the whole deal for a first calf heifer.... let her be the momma... the more the calf sucks, the more she will be stimulated to produce which is what nature intended...

You are so!!!!! helpful, I tell ya what,,@CrealCritter has the best Cattle coach ever

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My son was asking what is the best all round dewormer to buy for his goats? He was thinking Ivermectin?
I said, I dont know but I know some wonderful ladies that do,

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are so!!!!! helpful, I tell ya what,,@CrealCritter has the best Cattle coach ever
Love me some @farmerjan for sure ❤️

Baby bull calf was up and at em, this morning nursing. He sleeps a lot, like most babies do, with momma moo watching over him. Neighbors tell me this is common and that he'll wake and get up when he needs to nurse. This cycle goes on for anywhere up to a week. but usually day 3 is when calf's become noticably more energetic. it's delightful to me to see him nursing on day 2, he made it through the night 👍

Today is NOT wacky wednesday \o/

I probably should tell you all, I have a lot of irons in the fire and busy studying. I may not have time to participate for an extended period of time.

Stay blessed my friends 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We just done having a severe T-Storm with HAIL!!!
We got a 3 minute shower about 10 a.m. then when I went to Roanoke (1+ hours south) to the chiropractor, they had a real downpour for about 15-30 minutes while I was in the Goodwill about 5 p.m.. Nothing more at my place... there is a "trace" of looks like 3 drops in the rain gauge...
Sorry about the hail... we get those type storms here sometimes too...

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My son was asking what is the best all round dewormer to buy for his goats? He was thinking Ivermectin?
I said, I dont know but I know some wonderful ladies that do,
Ivermectin is a good SAFE all around wormer... but if the goats have barber pole worms I don't think it is especially effective... we do use it on the sheep and if they don't seem to respond, DS will use something stronger for the barber pole worm which is common and a big problem here...
If you do use Ivermec, do not use the pour on- need to use the drench.... and I think it is valbazen we use for the barber pole worm...
If he has a relationship with a vet, take some "pellets" from a goat... or some from each, that you can collect with a baggie so it does not spend time on the ground... and have a fecal count done ... then they can tell what they have and the best way to deal with it....
@Mini Horses , anyone else with goats????

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Ivermectin is a good SAFE all around wormer... but if the goats have barber pole worms I don't think it is especially effective... we do use it on the sheep and if they don't seem to respond, DS will use something stronger for the barber pole worm which is common and a big problem here...
If you do use Ivermec, do not use the pour on- need to use the drench.... and I think it is valbazen we use for the barber pole worm...
If he has a relationship with a vet, take some "pellets" from a goat... or some from each, that you can collect with a baggie so it does not spend time on the ground... and have a fecal count done ... then they can tell what they have and the best way to deal with it....
@Mini Horses , anyone else with goats????
Start with fecal egg counts on all and get vet's recommendations. Probably will be rotating wormers. After you have an idea what worms your herd has, who your heavy shedders are, and what wormers are best in your area, then get trained in FAMACHA scoring.