Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh and it's not cold enough above Heppner Oregon for snow yet. Mom and Dad were up at their cabin in Blake Ranch earlier this week to meet a State guy who's part of a team assessing fire danger of properties and what can be done to lessen it. It includes a grant of up to $600 to help get the properties safe.

Since my parents actually have insurance, they've done as the insurance company asked. Trees limbed to at least 20 ft up and no brush around the cabin.

Guy said it was one of the best properties he's seen. They just need to move their woodpile about 25' farther from the cabin. No wood on the deck. Wicker furniture stored inside if not there. Put a door of some sort on their wood shed to prevent embers from getting in.

Rake the pine needles out from under deck and put something up to block them. He said many people use wood lattice but it doesn't work the best. I told Mom to get some hardware cloth and screw it to the deck as a skirting. Cheapest way and will block the needles. It's not something my parents have used or actually knew what was. So I found some 2 foot stuff on Amazon and ordered it for them. $40 for 100' will do the whole deck and have some left over if needed elsewhere. Cheaper than other solutions and quicker. Just a drill, washers, and screws.
Hardware cloth also called rat wire, has a lot of good uses like you mentioned.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready y’all. My truck is still in the shop, waiting on a sending unit for the fuel tank. Been driving around with gauge on E and it drives me nuts. Need to take ram lambs to auction, I guess next Saturday. Since I’ve never been to this one, 2 hours away, I’m going this morning to check it out. No auction’s nearby have much of a sheep and goat sale, it’s all cattle.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Small town middle America flyover country. Fall street festival. Booth set up for volunteer gig, my view of part of it.
20230916_085438.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a lotta wood! 😱

Is that your old hunting dog looking at you?
The 4 logs are about 1150 board feet using the doyle or international log scale. I'll be happy if we saw 1000 board foot. red oak is kind of funky the sawn boards can't touch steel until the are dry or they will stain black where they come into contact with steel. Woodmizer has stainless steel covers on their bed rails for this reason. But the tractor forks are steel, so have to be careful with the boards as they come off the sawmill.

Northern red oak which is what this tree is makes nice quartersawn boards, just need lager diameter logs for quarter sawing. If I cut it well it should make some nice furniture lumber. we are going to keep the tree logs and boards together because that's important to someone who is going to use to to build cabinets or furniture. The color will be consistent this way and not like using random boards from different trees.

when the boards are eventually made in to furniture or cabinets, it should have grain and ray fleck similar to this.
IMG_20230916_201638727.jpg

I'll saw out the boards using the saw pattern labeled Quarter Sawn in the picture below.
sawing-grain-patterns-1024x727.png

Reference for above picture.

and yep that's my buddy, he goes with me most everywhere 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
61593688db94659dd947ad8eac98f9f7.jpg

All you need for your morning get and go drink is by the coffee pot, fix a cup then lets enjoy the patio in the cool 60 morning air while waiting for daybreak to get chores done.
I apologize for not putting a message up yesterday FH had to work (took a co-worker to Chantilly, VA to pick up the sealer truck) so I went for the ride the nonce we got home we did some yardwork and I was not only in bed but asleep by 9pm. I woke up a little after 11 thinking it was morning so took 3 dogs potty then all came in and we went back to bed I slept like a baby until 5 now 3 dogs been out (and 2 are in the kennel). Hope everyone had a good day yesterday.
Also FH and I starting draining our pool yesterday seeing how we can't keep the algae out of it due to a couple trees dropping leaves into it so before next year the trees are going to get trimmed way way back but also we have to do some more leveling of the ground before we put the pool up again and RIGHT NOW IT'S ALMOST EMPTY!!! I can't believe how fast it emptied out. Yes, before we take the pool down we're going to give it a good scrubbing and rinse.
Tonight's dinner is going to be SMOKED Boston Butt, SMOKED Mac & Cheese, "Apple Pie" Baked Beans and maybe just maybe Cornbread muffins.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter that's nice info about wood & logs😊 it's interesting to learn things that many of us do not realize needs to be known, happen, before we have the end result. The lovely wood we admire -- takes more than JUST "cut down, saw, dry out". Only a woodworker knows the precision!

I'm just enjoying my morning coffee before I head out to work in my fields. Tractor therapy today 😂. I slept very well, after a fabulous day at Gilmanor Swap with @farmerjan yesterday, walking & talking. I should have a good, productive day -- weather is great! Looks like several days of this sunshine, cooler temps, lower humidity. 👍 loving it!