Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready! It’s gonna drop in the teens and not get above freezing for several days. That means more work for me. Water buckets freeze and I have to bust ice and/or carry buckets of boiling water to melt ice so I don’t wind up with a 5 gallon hunk of solid ice. I have several bags of compressed pine shavings to add to the sheep’s bedding plus waste hay. Sometime in the next few days I’ll have to set a new round bale of hay. BRRR…..

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A good time of year to be canning fresh produce to warm the house. Wrong time of year to have said produce.
Truth, lol!

I'm planning a big pot of broccoli cheese soup - but for some reason chili is sounding really good too. The oven can warm the house too - might be a good excuse to bake something carby and delicious.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Artic storm is coming in this a.m. Schools announced that they will be letting out kids early today - 2 hours. From the middle of OR up to the top of WA. I turned up the furnace to 70. We went to Winco and Safeway and got milk, fresh veggies, and two loaves of bread that were on sale. Got a knarly bone for the dog to keep him busy while we're in the house the next four days. Supposed to be in the teens and with windchill, cus the artic front is bringing wind, it will be in the single digits. This rarely happens here.

Hubs put about 6" of fresh chips in the coop inside for the chickens. The electricity he ran down there (buried in pipe) last year doesn't work. Come to find out it never really did....sigh. I'll send down warmed water and warmed food for them every morning.

I got 10 gal of clear gas for the generator. He refused to tell me where the third propane tank was....He also said that putting a load on the generator when I MADE HIM START IT to test and run, was silly. Ass....

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Men! One of the few things that DH has kept up with, despite being in pain all the time, is that he starts the generator at least once a month. We'll be checking it (with a load on it) this afternoon - justincase.

We're getting the arctic blast also. I'm not in love with that!

I'm wrapping and protecting baby trees today and will wait to turn off the water and drain the pipes until Sunday.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
High wind warnings posted here, otherwise....
Screenshot_20240112-155520_Facebook.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No... I didn't leave the hose on, that's the rain we got this morning. And because it didnt rain enough, we got second rain :) second rain is just winding down now. It's soupy out there... not complaining though, we really need the rain, all the ponds around here are low.
Screenshot_20240112_150823_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️