Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If Romeo is still running with the cows, then it is a good bet they are getting bred back... you may never see them in heat... Are you wanting the next bunch of calves to be born in colder weather? One of the negative sides to running a bull year round... spread out calvings are fine in some scenarios, but means more constant monitoring for any potential problems with calvings etc... for your breed/type of operation, it might not make a difference at all... for commercial operations, you want a uniform group close in age so similar in size etc... But even we do not want late dec to early Feb calves if we can help it... weather is too "iffy".... bad enough March weather can be crazy but at least the sun is often a bit warmer...
Calves are growing good.

Do you still have a beef on feed at the neighbors? Or is he in the freezer? At least this year you can just have one of your own calves done for the freezer... 2 steers and a heifer calf?

One other thing... do not leave the heifer calves in with the cows too long if the bull is in there... heifers can start to cycle as early as 7-8 months, and most will cycle by 12 months. You do not want them getting bred that young... 15-18 months to breed is plenty soon enough, so they calve around 24-30 months... I personally prefer 27-30 months at first calving.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the day started out froggy here (foggy :) ) and then the sun came out and all the fog was also frosted on most things. making it pretty interesting to see, but the sky was not blue and i didn't want yet another picture of frosty stems and fences with white so i waited and hoped for the sky to get blue enough and then it would be worth a picture. not to be. by the time the sky did get blue enough it was also warm enough that the frost had melted or evaporated off.

as it was we had a family gathering scheduled for today so i was getting roped into all sorts of things that could have been done days ago and at one point i just said i had enough and that was it. you know, at some level it's annoying to have poor planning end up with a lot of rushing around and i don't do that any more. so when i reach my limit. kaput. it's a tough day for me as it is...

got through the family gathering and everyone survived and i finished cleaning up and sprawled out for a few minutes. maybe napped 10 minutes and woke up and that was that.

i'm glad it all happened and we got through it and got to see everyone but i'm also happy with a much quieter time of life afterwards. a creature of habit and not so much happening all at once. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If Romeo is still running with the cows, then it is a good bet they are getting bred back... you may never see them in heat... Are you wanting the next bunch of calves to be born in colder weather? One of the negative sides to running a bull year round... spread out calvings are fine in some scenarios, but means mors constant monitoring for any potential problems with calvings etc... for your breed/type of operation, it might not make a difference at all... for commercial operations, you want a uniform group close in age so similar in size etc... But even we do not want late dec to early Feb calves if we can help it... weather is too "iffy".... bad enough March weather can be crazy but at least the sun is often a bit warmer...
Calves are growing good.

Do you still have a beef on feed at the neighbors? Or is he in the freezer? At least this year you can just have one of your own calves done for the freezer... 2 steers and a heifer calf?

One other thing... do not leave the heifer calves in with the cows too long if the bull is in there... heifers can start to cycle as early as 7-8 months, and most will cycle by 12 months. You do not want them getting bred that young... 15-18 months tp breed is plenty soon enough, so they calve around 24-30 months... I personally prefer 27-30 months at first calving.
Romeo brought the cows to within a day of each other. They are bred back, new calves are due the beginning to middle of August.

The ladies birthed all bull calves, however, they are now steers. So I don't have to find a new pasture for a hefier.

Thanks for the reply👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
coffee11.jpg

Happy Monday Y'all!!! Just trying to get going, already had 2 cups of coffee and now drinking a "morning smoothie" while "working" on wedding stuff in front of computer while waiting for the temp to go above 32 so dogs can out to kennel but right now ALL are sleeping peacefully.

The ladies birthed all bull calves, however, they are now steers. So I don't have to find a new pasture for a hefier.
But you don't know if in this new set of calves there will be a heifer so I think @farmerjan was just being informative when she wrote all that for you.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Romeo brought the cows to within a day of each other. They are bred back, new calves are due the beginning to middle of August.

Thanks for the reply👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️
That's good for them all being steers for this year. No worries for another year.
One suggestion... try to avoid the worst of the summer for calving. There are many more cases of retained placenta in the heat for the cows. No real science behind it, we just see it often in both the beef and dairy cattle.
I like fall calves here to start coming in mid-late August... Gets some good growth on them before the coldest temps come along, and they are eating hay and feed good. Cows also are not having to produce so much milk like when calving in Nov.... seems like ours don't start until Sept or Oct though. The spring calves start in late Feb and I am not a real fan of it... would rather they calve in April when it is warmer and less chance of miserable rain/snow. Seems like that doesn't always happen either....LOL. But we have to get them on the ground so they are up and going good to go to summer pastures by first of May most years...
Of course, we are calving a few more than you are and they don't always read the manual on timing and calving/breeding protocol.....:hide
:lol::lol::gig:gig:gig

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Worked fence removal today, to prep for new install of difference fence. 😳😵‍💫. Tired. It's more work than upping the stuff! I'm in for the day/night, whatever! There's plenty for animals to eat, fresh water -- they're on their own right now👍🤣.

Sandwich for dinner, when I can get up the desire to move again, to make one. :old :idunno back & arms complaining, a Motrin will happen to help.