Sustainability Master
Reaction score
59 F, calm winds, sunny ❤️
Screenshot_20240406_143634_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My feelings are a bit hurt. From another forum.

I was mentioning my to do list from a few days ago, when it was going to be NOT RAINING for a day. I said I was going to Roundup one fence line, spray some CrossBow on some wild blackberries (I have 321 feet of them on the north side next to one forest), and how its almost time to repel the moles in the large field below us (who have invaded my garden, in those beds without hardware cloth). I got roasted. Three days of roasting. On and on. I had to sign out. I've been on that forum for 10 years.

I tried to reason, about how vineyards use RU, how moles can be destructive to native vegetation, how I have mason bees and always plant a pollinator garden that is huge, and I ONLY plant native trees and foundation plants here, and that I'm not using a broadcast sprayer, but a hand pump 2 gallon with the nozzle on stream.

So, go ahead and roast me if you want. I choose to use Roundup on select portions of my 2.6 acres. I also use weed killer. I don't have grazing animals. Everything dries to a crisp by July, and fire mitigation is required, especially since I'm surrounded on two side by Fir trees which can be like a roman candle.

Even if you don't agree with my practices, I'm willing to have a discussion about different methods work for different properties and climate zones. Ok, thanks for listening. I feel better now.

Sometimes it's the only choice with some vegetation.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My feelings are a bit hurt. From another forum.

I was mentioning my to do list from a few days ago, when it was going to be NOT RAINING for a day. I said I was going to Roundup one fence line, spray some CrossBow on some wild blackberries (I have 321 feet of them on the north side next to one forest), and how its almost time to repel the moles in the large field below us (who have invaded my garden, in those beds without hardware cloth). I got roasted. Three days of roasting. On and on. I had to sign out. I've been on that forum for 10 years.

I tried to reason, about how vineyards use RU, how moles can be destructive to native vegetation, how I have mason bees and always plant a pollinator garden that is huge, and I ONLY plant native trees and foundation plants here, and that I'm not using a broadcast sprayer, but a hand pump 2 gallon with the nozzle on stream.

So, go ahead and roast me if you want. I choose to use Roundup on select portions of my 2.6 acres. I also use weed killer. I don't have grazing animals. Everything dries to a crisp by July, and fire mitigation is required, especially since I'm surrounded on two side by Fir trees which can be like a roman candle.

Even if you don't agree with my practices, I'm willing to have a discussion about different methods work for different properties and climate zones. Ok, thanks for listening. I feel better now.
I try to be as organic as possible. Been that way all my life. I have been living on my new farm 2 years in August. I’ve worked very hard, spent thousands on fencing and not done yet. Fence rows were so grown up that I couldn’t even get to the fence. 2 fields are done, the back field is going to be my summer project. Do you think I’m going to let my expense new fence get overrun by trees, brush and vines again? I don’t see me out there with a weed eater either. I will poison my fence rows to keep them clean.

I got a long lecture from a friend that I did not need to hear and didn’t appreciate one damned bit. I finally told her to shut up and was not kind about it. I invited her to come weed eat all my fence rows because I sure can’t do it. I already know all the bad things, I’m not stupid. I don’t like poison but I’m not going to sit back and watch all my hard work and money go to rack and ruin.

I get it. I really do.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My garden is pseudo organic, as are my numerous flower beds (meaning no sprays or chemicals, just fertilizers and amendments). Heck, for two years now, I've forgotten to spray my fruit trees - apples and pears for coddling moth and peach leaf curl. I'll be paying for that this year in reduced yield and poor health young fruit trees.

Thank you for intelligently discussing this issue with me.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I try to be as organic as possible. Been that way all my life. I have been living on my new farm 2 years in August. I’ve worked very hard, spent thousands on fencing and not done yet. Fence rows were so grown up that I couldn’t even get to the fence. 2 fields are done, the back field is going to be my summer project. Do you think I’m going to let my expense new fence get overrun by trees, brush and vines again? I don’t see me out there with a weed eater either. I will poison my fence rows to keep them clean.

I got a long lecture from a friend that I did not need to hear and didn’t appreciate one damned bit. I finally told her to shut up and was not kind about it. I invited her to come weed eat all my fence rows because I sure can’t do it. I already know all the bad things, I’m not stupid. I don’t like poison but I’m not going to sit back and watch all my hard work and money go to rack and ruin.

I get it. I really do.
So my son and I ripped out an old fence row late winter this year. It was about like you explained.
Fence rows were so grown up that I couldn’t even get to the fence
We did what I'm calling a selective removal. We left a wild apple tree and a mulberry tree that hadn't grown into the fencing (both woven wire and barb wire). We the ran the bush hog down the fence row after we got them t-posts and wire out. It cleaned up pretty nice.

Yesterday while FB was mowing the old fence row she found several asparagus crowns. Nice tender spears, as big as my thumb. We had them for dinner last night 😋. We'll be eating off them for a few weeks and she will mow around them so they fern and come back next year. They were buried in all the overgrowth along that old fence row.

If I were to have used RU, well you already know there would be no asparagus or fruit trees left. The results aren't in yet on the apple or mulberry trees. But if they don't produce I can graft onto them with varieties that do produce. And I can pull air-layers off them for new clones or rootstocks.

We've maintained our new fence rows with the bush hog, zero turn and pruners. It seems to be working OK so far. Yes it takes more time and work but there are some species of plants that we choose to keep. There is one section of fence that I've picked morel mushrooms from also 😋 and there is ginseng growing in another section. Plus many other species of beneficial plants.

I'm not against doing what needs to be done either. They sell RU for a reason, when someone chooses to use it, that's their decision, i"m not going to get sour because it, that's their choice.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow, lucky you -- wild apples, mulberries, morels and asparagus!! 🥰. I know you said elderberry there, too. Those are real finds! it's an Old farm that WAS farmed. Here, I bought a tract of land. Good land, maintained p-nut field. Sadly, no old house site and plantings! But the dirt is good.

And location was great then, even better now -- investment wise. Things are developing as the city populations spread out. 😐. I'm buffered but will be close outskirts in a few years.

Weather warmer, winds gone, light breeze is all. Sun is out and I'm thinking I'll go ride the tractor 👍🤣

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow, lucky you -- wild apples, mulberries, morels and asparagus!! 🥰. I know you said elderberry there, too. Those are real finds! it's an Old farm that WAS farmed. Here, I bought a tract of land. Good land, maintained p-nut field. Sadly, no old house site and plantings! But the dirt is good.

And location was great then, even better now -- investment wise. Things are developing as the city populations spread out. 😐. I'm buffered but will be close outskirts in a few years.

Weather warmer, winds gone, light breeze is all. Sun is out and I'm thinking I'll go ride the tractor 👍🤣
Ironic you should mention elderberries. This bush needs to be moved. It's right in the middle of two rows of fruit trees. It a good one, we get heads the size of 5 gallon bucket off this bush and have plenty in the deep freezer.

I snapped a picture to study. I need to prune the elderberry to produce new canes to harvest and plant early next spring. But atleast two mulberries popped up in there to the right, see them? Sneaky things mulberries are.

Screenshot_20240407_112545_Gallery.jpg

Now I need to think about the right thing to do even more. I don't have a new plan yet - IDK...