Cold Frame?

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Can you make the window/top with hinges? Usually you want to open the frame when the outdoor temperature starts getting warmer so you don't cook the plants. If you can remove the top entirely during the summer that would prevent the plants from getting too warm.
It is a high tunnel cold frame that I was going to order. The ends can be opened, but I don't think I'm going to get it because it takes up a large space in the garden, and don't think I have enough use for it to justify the space it takes and the price to purchase it.

I have some low row covers that I've grown lettuce under before, and have over-wintered lettuce before during a mild winter. I actually have the row covers in the garden now, but the wind blew them off the lettuce, and the ducks went in the garden and ate it.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With an old-fashioned cold frame, you could also grow lettuce in the summer by putting a light shade cloth over it instead of glass or plastic. I did that one year just using a sheet over the top; plenty of light, and during the hottest part of the day I misted the sheet so the evaporation cooled the air underneath. It kept my lettuce from bolting for almost a month!

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With an old-fashioned cold frame, you could also grow lettuce in the summer by putting a light shade cloth over it instead of glass or plastic. I did that one year just using a sheet over the top; plenty of light, and during the hottest part of the day I misted the sheet so the evaporation cooled the air underneath. It kept my lettuce from bolting for almost a month!
That's a good idea, I will be looking for similar after reading this. Thank you!

Would you have a picture. :)

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is a high tunnel cold frame that I was going to order. The ends can be opened, but I don't think I'm going to get it because it takes up a large space in the garden, and don't think I have enough use for it to justify the space it takes and the price to purchase it.

I have some low row covers that I've grown lettuce under before, and have over-wintered lettuce before during a mild winter. I actually have the row covers in the garden now, but the wind blew them off the lettuce, and the ducks went in the garden and ate it.
So sorry to laugh, I get the same with my chickens.

I still need to get raised beds made. So looking for the easiest solutions and of course cover. :)

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So sorry to laugh, I get the same with my chickens.

I still need to get raised beds made. So looking for the easiest solutions and of course cover. :)
That's okay. The ducks are so cute looking at the lettuce as I'm planting it, so I can't get mad at them!

My solution to keeping them out of the garden (and other critters) is a seven foot deer fence, and low wire fencing. The gate to the garden is normally closed during the active garden season.

My husband made one raised bed in the fall. Looking forward to using it this year!

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's okay. The ducks are so cute looking at the lettuce as I'm planting it, so I can't get mad at them!

My solution to keeping them out of the garden (and other critters) is a seven foot deer fence, and low wire fencing. The gate to the garden is normally closed during the active garden season.

My husband made one raised bed in the fall. Looking forward to using it this year!
Thank you for your input. I have a long way to get to this point. Getting my fence fixed is the most urgent, once that is on the way I can breathe and get things going. :)

Latest posts