Cold sore?

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What kind of natural or homemade remedies are there for a cold sore on your lip?

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Somewhere here there is a post about ear wax for cold sores. Gross yea, but I swear since I read that post I haven't had a cold sore fully develope yet. And I have even noticed that the itchy oily feeling in my ears seems to start just prior to a cold sore coming on. Nature knows I guess.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
when I get that icky feeling right before they pop up I start taking two llysine tablets three times a day.. it may not stop it from showing up but it does lessen the size and length of how long they last. You can even get llysine ointment just for cold sores.
May not be super natural but it works for me.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Emerald said:
when I get that icky feeling right before they pop up I start taking two llysine tablets three times a day.. it may not stop it from showing up but it does lessen the size and length of how long they last. You can even get llysine ointment just for cold sores.
I, too use Lysine at the first "tingle" on my lip, I take about a 1000mg an hour for a few hours, maybe for a day, and they never even "come out." Let me see if I can find a link for you on foods to avoid (Foods high in Arginine can cause the virus to express in many people)

http://herpes-coldsores.com/diet_and_nutrition_with_herpes.htm

Food Chart

http://www.traditionaloven.com/tutorials/l-lysine_rich_foods.html

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Rebbetzin said:
Emerald said:
I, too use Lysine at the first "tingle" on my lip, I take about a 1000mg an hour for a few hours, maybe for a day, and they never even "come out." Let me see if I can find a link for you on foods to avoid (Foods high in Arginine can cause the virus to express in many people)

Food Chart

I may have to try taking it per hour then. and thanks for the links.. I don't get them very often but when they show up they are so painful and icky. make me so sad I want to hide in the house and not go out! :hit :hide

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I rub olive oil on lip sores which seems to work for me.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Rebbetzin said:
Emerald said:

Food Chart

I dont really know what sort of sore it is that I get, they only pop up when I eat some foods that have tomatoes, chiles, or jalapenos in them. Once the food touches my lip, it may or may not cause tingling, then small bubbles, then big blisters. If I take a benadryl as soon as I feel the tingle, I almost never get to the blister stage, but every now and then it progresses too fast and I get a blister anyway, but the benadryl will keep it from getting bigger. Once in a while the blisters will happen inside my mouth, but usually on my lip. However, it doesnt ALWAYS happen! It seems to happen with very hot peppers, chili cheese Fritos and storebought salsa (but never Pace brand)... I haven't had any tests done, but I'm thinking I have some sort of allergy? I dont know. I've never had any reaction like this until Oct 2009, and have eaten tomatoes and hot peppers my entire life. Also- raw tomatoes never do this to me, so I dont know if it is at all related to tomatoes. Im wondering if it is a preservative or capsacin or something else triggering it... I LOVE to know how to avoid the possibility of getting these without having to take benadryl. Any ideas?

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blaundee said:
I dont really know what sort of sore it is that I get, they only pop up when I eat some foods that have tomatoes, chiles, or jalapenos in them. Once the food touches my lip, it may or may not cause tingling, then small bubbles, then big blisters. If I take a benadryl as soon as I feel the tingle, I almost never get to the blister stage, but every now and then it progresses too fast and I get a blister anyway, but the benadryl will keep it from getting bigger. Once in a while the blisters will happen inside my mouth, but usually on my lip. However, it doesnt ALWAYS happen! It seems to happen with very hot peppers, chili cheese Fritos and storebought salsa (but never Pace brand)... I haven't had any tests done, but I'm thinking I have some sort of allergy? I dont know. I've never had any reaction like this until Oct 2009, and have eaten tomatoes and hot peppers my entire life. Also- raw tomatoes never do this to me, so I dont know if it is at all related to tomatoes. Im wondering if it is a preservative or capsacin or something else triggering it... I LOVE to know how to avoid the possibility of getting these without having to take benadryl. Any ideas?
Well, the Lysine treatments are mostly for the Herpes I virus. It comes out at times of stress or an abundance of Arginine in the system. Your's sound more like a contact dermatitis/allergy sort of thing. That would be helped more by anti histamines like Benedryl.