College...not worth it....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Military...it's a great start and he can get his education while he is working and then even use the GI Bill after he gets out of the military to further that education.

If a man that young tries to obtain student loans they will require his parents to co-sign the loan...been there, done that....now I owe money for a kid that didn't even finish out two semesters.

Blue Egg Jo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If your son really wants to go to college he will make it work out. Don't force him to take a major that he might not like. If he enjoys his classes and the major he wants to take, he will pass his classes. Encourage him to get scholarships or get grants. I think it was easier for me, at least, to get grants from my private university (out of state) than an in-state public university. JMO and experience. He could work part time to help with some costs, especially with school-related materials. Tell him to find and buy used books, which I always tried to do, or go to the school's library. I would check out tens of books at a time once I got the syllabus so I would save $ on books.

I graduated last December from a 4 year college even though I only spent 3.5 years there. The university is expensive but I was able to get grants from the school (it was a private university) and I was from out of state. I tested out of a language and calculus class so I got out of 1 semester. My parents helped pay for my school but used only a small portion of the equity they got from the house they sold a few years ago. I am thankful for that. But I still have a few federal loans (no private loans) and I intend to pay for them myself when I get a better job. With that said, I am so grateful of my college experience. It helped changed the way I think, the way I communicate with the world, how I see the world, etc. I learned to be responsible for myself because I lived in a totally different city in a very different state (Chicago, IL). It was a life changing experience.

Another thing, it might be easier for him to find and keep a job around where his university is. If he decides to stay there after graduation he might be more likely to find a good job. I now wish I had stayed in Chicago...but I digress.

There are various programs available after graduation to help him find a job. For example his school could have a career counseling office. They could help him find job leads. There are also programs like City Year. They pay piddly salaries but the $5000 or so at the end of the one-year assignment (goes towards student loans) could be a big help.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Lot's of good advice here so far, as someone who graduated from two colleges with zero debt, let me throw in a few other things to mull over:

- college is not a place "to find yourself", you need a plan, goal, etc of why you're there before you get there. If you don't have those, find something else to do until you have the plan.
- as part of the first point, how are you going to use that degree once you get it? An Ohio college offers a Masters degree in Popular Culture - part of the coursework is actually watching cartoons! What the heck do you do with that?
- there are multiple funding sources available without having the parents mortgage THEIR future
- as someone who helps hire technical people, I respect individuals who found a way to make it work to get that degree - had one interviewee said they were only looking for a job because mom and dad weren't going to pay for any more college after 3 degrees (and then asked for a salary of $20K over the average salary. :/
- Online courses are another good option. Try some courses to see if you're "right" for college.
- sometimes you have to make career compromises and changing your dreams sometimes, life forces us to make choices.

Good Luck!

Blue Egg Jo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Also another thing, a major that works for different careers would be great. For example, some people who major in Art History are criticized because, "What can they do with that major?" Actually, it's not really about the major. There are many people who work in careers that don't apply to their major. But, if you learned some key skills while taking Art History, such as analytical or critical thinking skills, working with people on different projects, etc. you can emphasize that to a prospective employer or gain some volunteer experience to enhance those skills. I just get frustrated when people criticize others who don't take "valuable" majors such as engineering, as if those majors fit everybody.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Blue Egg Jo said:
Also another thing, a major that works for different careers would be great. For example, some people who major in Art History are criticized because, "What can they do with that major?" Actually, it's not really about the major. There are many people who work in careers that don't apply to their major. But, if you learned some key skills while taking Art History, such as analytical or critical thinking skills, working with people on different projects, etc. you can emphasize that to a prospective employer or gain some volunteer experience to enhance those skills. I just get frustrated when people criticize others who don't take "valuable" majors such as engineering, as if those majors fit everybody.
First of all, I don't believe I've said howdy. :welcome

I'm not saying some majors aren't valuable, I'm saying you need to understand the general marketability of the choices you make. An Art History degree, with a good concentrated sprinkling of business classes as electives would provide more options than the Art Degree only. Likewise a more "technical" degree with economics on the side could provide some interesting combinations. Some colleges are beginning to offer "interdisciplinary" degrees, usually at the masters level now, too.

Volunteering is a great way to find things that you like to do (or think you might). Very good point.

Blue Egg Jo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi! Oh yes, taking different types of classes ("electives" I guess?) for a major would be a big help.
I of course took many English-type classes teaching how to write, research, communicate verbally, etc. A good variety is key but finding volunteering opportunities is even better and sticking to them. Maybe he could apply to various types of colleges that are within your budget. They should also be at his academic level or just slightly above it; the school should challenge him but not so much as to put him off school.
I'm just happy when someone wants to go to college and further their education but I know there is so much money involved. My loans came up to about $18000 total; my school cost around $50000 a year with the school giving me private grants equaling $40-43000 a year.

One thing more: my freshman year, my dad was out of work. He had been for about a year before that because he had just been laid off. BUT they had just sold their house, which had gotten them a lot of equity. So, the school charged them ALOT for that reason. They must have paid around $20000 that first year. The next year, my parents only paid $500 for THE WHOLE YEAR out of pocket. I took out a federal loan, around $4000 or so. This means that if your son is still your dependent the school will base their financial aid on your finances, so in our case it was better for my dad to be out of work and NOT HAVE ANY money...:rolleyes:

Ok, I think I have said wayy more about myself than needed, but I hope I helped with my personal experience! Good luck to whatever your son decides, nonetheless!

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Alright

First off, I was a college drop-out at the usual college age. At that time around 2/3 of the people who started college never finished.
I was an adult student later - very focused, knew what I wanted and made A's. Hated the young students during that time, watching them being a slacker just like I was way back then. Big difference, though. Now the ratio is reversed. Around 2/3 of those who start college earn degrees. It has been dumbed down.

Problem is that somebody a few years back decided that everybody should have a college degree. There are ways to pay for it, tons of ways, although most of them wind up driving the student into years of debt. The standards for admission as well as for passing classes are also lowered. As I said, I worked and made A's. I soon noticed that simply showing up for class more than half the time was good enough for a C.
Therefore, not only are college degrees cheapened, not having one is infinitely worse.
I landed my current job, well below my education level, because I have a college degree. Think about it - a job that didn't require a degree, and my having a degree is what got it for me. I was also turned down for several jobs that required a BS degree like mine, because the person selected had a MS or even a PhD!

Now let's talk about cost. Lots of people are saying to get out there and work and pay for your education. Well, I can cite the small 4 year college I went to, which was said to have rather average tuition + fees. It costed around $2500 per semester and 20-30 hours per week of your time to earn that degree, at a minimum. Higher level courses, such as for your junior and senior year, costed more time. Science majors such as Bio and Chem costed a lot more in terms of $$ and time to complete.
How in the DEVIL is some 20 year old going to find a job that makes enough money to cover that and still have enough time to devote to his/her studies? I was lucky enough to have both a VERY supportive partner and friends that scored me a part time job working on campus.

FAFSA. Go there. Apply for Pell Grants.
Only take Stafford and such loans as a last resort. You will pay and pay and pay on those, and it will take years and years to pay off.

Intangibles?
I am very glad I returned to college and got my degree. Read that sentence again like I repeated myself. I am that glad I did. Even though I have yet to get a single job that really requires my degree and I probably never will, I am glad I got my degree.
Returning to college exposed me to ideas and fields of knowlege I otherwise never would have known even existed. It was a major growth experience that made more than what I was. It was the final deciding factor that elevated me from the masses to the minority.

Nutshell
Even though a college degree has so much less value than it once did, it is a powerful aid in getting decent jobs. Besides that, it is an opportunity for serious growth and realization of one's own personal potential. If you don't want that for your son, if you do not want them exposed to new ideas they may not have heard at home, then I am sorry.

I may sound like I am contradicting myself, but college shouldn't be for everyone. IMO everyone should have a chance to at least try it, but IMO just not everyone is put together in such a way that the personal growth and such are a good thing or even possible for them.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Lots of good advice....first he needs to know what he wants to do and where he wants to go...then he can figure out how much it will cost. Cost is a big factor and if he can get a degree in the subject area he wants at a smaller local college where he may commute to classes or be able to work part time (I did, 20 hrs a week all 4 yrs) while he goes to school.

I had student loans....if he can start paying them off before he graduates then do it...the less debt he has when he graduates the better. Try for scholarships and if he is not going to live at home with you then he also needs to figure in for housing expenses too. If he really wants to go he'll figure it out.

If he is interested in something where he can go to a trade school then the same rules apply. He needs to go into it with a clear plan. He can check out various schools and see how much each will cost...visit the campuses and the most important thing is to apply to lots of different schools because if you only apply to one or two and you don't get in then you have to wait another semester to reapply. Talk to the financial advisors from his top picks and see what he can do.

Good luck!

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As others have said, it is very possible to work your way through college. I did it, working full time in community college, transferring to a university, working full time there. I worked in a 24-hour industry so I could work swing shift and go to school in the mornings. I certainly wasn't the only one at college working, especially at community college. It can be done.

That being said, I have promised my daughter that I will pay for her to go to college, and I don't care if it means more debt for me (I'm still paying grad school loans) or that I retire later because of it. I don't want her to start adulthood in debt. I also don't want her struggling through school working full time like I did, with 15-hour days every day, falling asleep while doing homework, not having time to do a really good job on assigned projects, working for bosses who fire you for not coming in on your day off because they don't care that you had a final that day. My grades suffered, my health suffered, my relationships suffered, and I never saw my family. The kids at my university were pretty hard-working (this was not a slacker university), but they had time to socialize, make friends, get involved in campus activities, take on leadership roles in clubs, and have some time off to enjoy life. Those kids have moved on to become doctors, researchers, professors, lawyers, business owners, politicians, community leaders -- interesting people with interesting lives, and I never even had time to talk to them. I don't want my daughter to have the same experience. (I should mention that DD is an incredibly hard worker -- I'm not at all concerned she will slack off and take her education for granted.)

So yes, anyone can work their way through school if they are dedicated enough. It's not necessarily the best option depending on the kid and the situation. If you think your son will work his tail off and go into a field where people normally earn $100K or more a year, then a one-time $60K investment is a pretty good choice; make a deal with him that he will pay the whole thing back to you if you need the money. If he has no idea what he wants to do and you're not sure he'll follow through, help him find another way.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Don't have much to add except my own experience. I joined the Army right out of high school. I took college classes while in the Army using tuition assistance. I don't know if that is even available now. I earned an AA while in the Army. I got out of the Army and went to school on the GI Bill. It was the real GI Bill then. I also got scholarships, student loans, Pell grants, and worked part time. While in college I took part in the ROTC program and went back in the Army as an officer after getting my BA. Then while in the Army a second time I took part in a fully funded masters program. It was my job to go to school and everthing was paid for. Got an MS out of that.

My kids that went to college worked, got scholarships, and student loans. Mostly worked. We helped when they needed help but we didn't pay for everything.

National Guard is a good way to go. Many states pay for college expenses for their Guard members.

Hi Jamie. To LJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.