Colorado near Denver - where can i be self-sufficient?

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just wondering ... those of you in Colorado ... do you know where near Denver we can buy a couple of acres and have a couple of goats and some chickens? Prefer roosters too.

Found out today that Littleton allows goats and chickens. I think Aurora does too but don't quote me on that. Anybody?

Want to be as close to Denver as possible. That's where my son's medical teams are. Right now it's about an hour drive.

Just thinking about all of my options. That's all.

Kinda.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Hey :) Don't know the best places that allow you to farm that close to Denver. A lot of the Front Range is wonderful and I know a lot of folk with small farms up there. I think most of Denver allows chickens, not sure on goats though.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I don't know. The further up North you go the more laws and regulations you run in to. What about Kiowa? Elizabeth?

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm in rural Elizabeth but trying to get closer to town. Teen's doc appts are about an hour plus drive away. Too much wear and tear on my 1984 car.

Heard about one lady, who was pushing the FPA act for denver, who has chickens and goats in Denver but she hasn't answered my e-mails as to where exactly. I don't mean exact address ... just area so I would know where to look. (NOT a stalker!).

I would only want 2 acres. Just for my chickens and nigerian dwarf goats.

Just curious.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
You know, I think the areas just south of Highlands Ranch on the Santa Fe side allow a lot of animals. I can't remember the towns' names... But it's north of where they do Ren Faire....

Sedalia. That's where I was thinking. Go google maps!

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Abi: I LOVE the RenFair but it's usually super hot when we have time to go. Going this year? Didn't it change locations?

Farmer: I'd seen that link. That's the lady who won't respond to my e-mails (sent 2-3 over the past 3 months).

I wonder about Aurora or Englewood. I'll have to make some calls soon.

blue lotus

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Denver now allows chickens/ducks (6 or 8, I don't remember which) and Nigerian Dwarf goats (2).
I just sent several links to my mom, who lives there. Apparently their neighbor just got two goats, and a friend of hers has several acres with a small farm within about an hour of Denver (I forget the name of the town, but I can look it up).

Here is some of the message I sent her, you should be able to find the ordinances of many of the communities online.

Found them! Also a local resource you might find helpful

denverurbanhomesteading - they are a great local group, and have a website by this name.

and the new ordinance:
A restricted livestock or fowl license is required for the keeping of up to eight (8) ducks and or chickens combined, and up to two (2) dwarf goats. Such license shall allow the keeping of the animals by the licensee on a specific property and shall be personal to the licensee and non- transferable. The license shall be valid indefinitely. A fee shall be charged for each new license. The following requirements must be met:

(1) No intact male goats older than 6 weeks, roosters or drakes may be kept.

(2) There must be at least sixteen (16) square feet of permeable land area available for each duck or chicken plus adequate enclosed shelter space for all ducks and chickens;

(3) There must be at least one hundred and thirty (130) square feet of permeable land area available for each dwarf goat, plus adequate shelter space for each dwarf goat;

(4) Adequate shelter must be provided to protect the ducks, chickens or dwarf goats from the elements and to prevent wildlife or other predators from gaining entry;

(5) Adequate fencing shall be provided to prevent the ducks, chickens or dwarf goats from escaping when not in their shelters.

I hope it helps!

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I knew that about Denver. But not being allowed to have roosters or bucks doesn't make it very self-sufficient. I would have to keep buying chicks to replace butchered chickens (which isn't allowed there either) and I'd have to hire a stud for the does to keep the milk going. I love my roosters (I have 6-14... depending!) and my beautiful one-horned buck.

Was hoping to find something that allowed same as what we have here, but closer to Denver.

Thanks anyway.