Combining Stawbale composter and Pallet Garden for growing in winter

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I live in the Northeast, so i get pretty cold in the winter. I had this idea last night. Make a compost pit using Hay or Staw bales start the compost pile in the spring. By the time fall comes I should have a good pile started. In the fall use the pallet garden techinque and place the pallet flat on top of the bales, attach pvc pipe to the pallet cover with plastic. I figure the heat generated by the compost would keep the soil and inside the plastic covering warm. Let me know, what you think.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You're talking about making a hot box. My Aunts used to make them in the early fall. dig hole a good couple feet down-put about a good 6 inch deep layer of horse/cow poo in there, the fresh stuff too! and then put a layer of straw on and then fill with good soil and plant-put a cold frame of your choice around it and your more tender plants will keep warm thru most of the winter.
just do a bit of google foo on hot frames and cold frames and you would be surprised at how many ways there are to stretch out your growing seasons.
at the moment wood and glass to build a cold frame would be cheaper than trying to find straw bales.. :th