Composting on the Homestead: An Eco-Friendly Solution to Sustainable Agriculture

SS Project Manager

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Composting is an essential part of sustainable agriculture. It not only provides a natural way to dispose of organic waste but also creates a nutrient-rich soil that can help plants grow healthier and stronger. Homesteaders have been using composting for generations to create an eco-friendly solution to their farming needs.

In this article, we will discuss the benefits of composting on the homestead, the different types of composting, and how to get started with your own composting system.

Composting on the Homestead

Benefits of Composting on the Homestead​

One of the most significant benefits of composting on the homestead is the reduction of waste. Instead of sending organic waste to landfills, homesteaders can turn their waste into a valuable resource. This not only reduces the amount of waste but also saves money on fertilizers and soil amendments. Composting also helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by diverting waste from landfills, where it would decompose anaerobically, producing methane gas.

Another benefit of composting on the homestead is that it creates nutrient-rich soil. Compost contains a wide range of nutrients, including nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, which are essential for plant growth. When added to the soil, compost helps to improve soil structure, texture, and water-holding capacity. It also helps to suppress plant diseases and pests and reduce the need for synthetic fertilizers.

Types of Composting​

There are several types of composting, each with its advantages and disadvantages. The most common types of composting are:

Aerobic Composting: Aerobic composting is the most common method of composting. It involves creating a pile of organic waste, such as leaves, grass clippings, and kitchen scraps, and adding air and water to the pile to promote the growth of aerobic bacteria. The bacteria break down the organic material, producing heat, and turning the waste into compost.

Vermicomposting: Vermicomposting involves using worms to decompose organic waste. Red wigglers are the most common type of worm used for vermicomposting. The worms consume the organic material, breaking it down into castings, which are rich in nutrients and beneficial microorganisms.

Anaerobic Composting: Anaerobic composting involves creating a pile of organic waste without adding air. This type of composting is slower than aerobic composting and produces a strong odor. Anaerobic composting is not recommended for homesteaders due to the potential for odors and the production of methane gas.

Getting Started with Composting​

Getting started with composting on the homestead is easy. The first step is to choose a location for your compost pile. The location should be in a shady area and close to a water source. The pile should also be at least 3 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet in size to allow for proper air circulation.

The next step is to gather your organic waste. This can include leaves, grass clippings, kitchen scraps, and animal manure. It is important to avoid adding meat, dairy, and oils to the compost pile, as they can attract pests and slow down the composting process.

Once you have your organic waste, you can begin to create your compost pile. Start by laying down a layer of leaves or straw at the bottom of the pile. Add a layer of organic waste on top of the leaves, followed by a layer of soil or finished compost. Continue layering until the pile is at least 3 feet high.

To maintain your compost pile, you will need to turn it regularly. Turning the pile helps to promote air circulation and speeds up the composting process. You should also keep the pile moist by watering it regularly.

Depending on the type of composting you choose, the time it takes for your compost to be ready can vary. Aerobic composting can take anywhere from 2-6 months, while vermicomposting can take up to a year. Once your compost is ready, it should be dark and crumbly, with a sweet, earthy smell.

Conclusion​

Composting on the homestead is an eco-friendly solution to sustainable agriculture. It not only reduces waste but also creates nutrient-rich soil that can help plants grow healthier and stronger. There are several types of composting, each with its advantages and disadvantages. Getting started with composting on the homestead is easy and can save you money on fertilizers and soil amendments. By composting, homesteaders can reduce their carbon footprint and contribute to a more sustainable future.

Which composting method do you use on your homestead?

Last edited:

mindfulmarket

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Composting on the homestead is simple and can help save money on fertilizers and soil treatments. By composting, homesteaders can help the environment and create a more sustainable future. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’ve moved to a new place and haven’t got set up for chickens yet. That may take awhile, but what I used to do was to throw everything in the chicken coop and run. Coop was 8’x8’, covered run was 8’x12’. I gathered bags of leaves in the fall, that people set out by the curb for the trash. They probably thought I was crazy for asking for the leaves, but I didn’t care. I piled the run 3’ deep in leaves, coop too. Hens had a blast scratching the leaves to bits and pooping all over them. I didn’t have to turn the compost, the chickens did it for me. In a few months, 3’ got reduced to about 3” and it was crumbly rich compost. I dug it out and put it straight on the garden.

In the sheep barn, I practiced deep litter, especially in the winter. I dug it out twice a year, putting it on the garden or on a pasture. I parked a round bale in the barn, waste hay mingled with manure. I also used leaves, sheep hooves broke them down. On cold nights, I put down more hay or pine shavings for bedding, that added to the litter.

I’ve never used compost bins. Never turned compost. Animals did it for me.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Which composting method do you use on your homestead?

for food/vegetable and paper scraps indoors i use worms - this becomes my main fertilizer for the heaviest feeding vegetables.

for garden debris and other outdoor stuff i bury it and let the worms figure it out.

i can never really get enough organic materials to mulch all of the gardens so i have to be selective as to where i use it.

Latest posts