Composting with maggots

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Since letting my hens free-range in all the animal areas, including the manure/compost pile, I see very few flies. They seem to know when and where there will be a maggot hatch happening and scratch it all up and eat it. I've never found any kind of worm when turning my compost, because the chickens have access, and they work very hard to turn the first few inches!

I used to hang several fly traps and put up fly tape everywhere to keep the levels down, especially since my neighbors are so close. The ones on each side have commented on the dramatic reduction in bugs, flies, and mosquitoes in their yards in the past 2-3 years. I tell them it is the guineas.....:D to keep them from complaining when the silly birds roost on their roofs or hide eggs in their flower gardens that they only find when they explode!

I guess I won't be composting with maggots unless I do it indoors....that ain't happenin'!!!

Myga

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Soldier flies aren't invasive like house flies, and I don't seem to have any house flies in the composter. I've been wondering if the soldier fly larvae eat the house fly maggots, but I dunno for sure.