Computer...Vista...pulling hair out...help!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First - Vista :he I hate it and I'm dumping it ASAP.

The problem that is driving me nuts is that it stutters while scrolling - but it's not just when I'm on line, it's for everything. Pulling up programs - there's always a delay.
I replaced my hard drive a few months back and this problem started with the new hard drive.
I have 2G RAM on a dual core processor. I have shut down services I don't need (WHY is there so much CRAP with this OS?) and made all the tweaks I can find. All drivers are updated.

2nd, though I'd rather not stick with Microsoft, I'm probably going to upgrade to Windows 7 - is is ANY better than Vista or am I in for the same load of crap?

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It sounds like you are on the line of compatibility with your hardware. You might check out pcpitstop.com You can run tests on your machine there. You dont have to sign up or buy stuff or anything. I believe there is still a way to run anonymous tests. Another silly thing.. if you are comfortable popping the case and poking around , is check to be sure your video card is secured.

My breaking point with Windows was the earliest version of XP. I gave the computer to my husband who uses it to watch you tube and check his email only. Then got myself a Mac. The cussing jar has seen no increase in quarters due to my computer since :D

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Windows 7 is better than Vista. Paper and pencils is better than Vista.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I feel your frustrations with the computer. We recently had to take our in, for repairs. Now, since we got it back, I can NOT get into secure websites!! Paypal...Facebook...almost every site I need to log into..I cant get. So, looks like this STUPID thing is going BACK to the shop, tomorrow. UGH, whoever said computers would make our lives easier?? I want to strangle mine!
Oh, and I like windows XP. My FIL had vista...and he is a computer geek...he HATES it! He went back to XP. LOL

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Windows 7 is better. I've had it for a few months, and no problems. Oh, except I can't get that silly PC Dock that shows up on the main screen to go away.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
justusnak said:
I feel your frustrations with the computer. We recently had to take our in, for repairs. Now, since we got it back, I can NOT get into secure websites!! Paypal...Facebook...almost every site I need to log into..I cant get.
Whatever browser you are using.. make sure you are set to accept cookies. It would be horrible to take it to the shop for something like a setting on a browswer

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rebecka said:
justusnak said:
I feel your frustrations with the computer. We recently had to take our in, for repairs. Now, since we got it back, I can NOT get into secure websites!! Paypal...Facebook...almost every site I need to log into..I cant get.
Whatever browser you are using.. make sure you are set to accept cookies. It would be horrible to take it to the shop for something like a setting on a browswer
I am useing IE....and sometimes AOL. Im not sure what to do...im so NOT a computer guru. LOL

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
justusnak, it will be in the tools sections of your browsers. Though it might be worth it to give the FIL a call. Though if he is a true computer geek, you should expect a bit of chiding about using AOL and MSN ;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I looked....but since I dont really know what I am looking for...Its all geek to me! My FIL....lets just say, I would rather PAY someone to fix it, than to call him! LOL

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Paper and pencils is better than Vista
LOL, I can't agree more! :lol:

I can take a look at my video card, no problem. Well, except for the bajillion tiny screws I have to remove :rolleyes:

We have a Mac and I really don't like it either. :p I'm hard to please. My major gripe about the Mac is the software that I have and like won't run on it - mostly games.
I liked XP, would go back to it but since they are dropping support for it, I'm uneasy about that.
Tried Unbuntu, but couldn't get it to read my wireless connection and hence gave up after a few days.

Guess I'll try Windows 7. Can't be any worse :fl