Computer...Vista...pulling hair out...help!

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can relate to the full status of the cussing jar when it comes to Vista. HOWEVER, after suffering with the frustration of it for several years now, I took an action that appears to have helped. I had all the same problems as listed above but after a while the main problem was the fact that the keyboard and mouse somehow didn't seem to get the signal to the computer. I changed batteries to be sure that they were fresh and finally just got a hard wired mouse and keyboard. This appears to have resolved the problem. I haven't had a lock up since I did that. I may have to eat my words soon, but for right now that seems to have done it.
What have all you other folks done to actually get a resolution on this? Maybe I am missing something here.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, this is a laptop. I disabled the touchpad because it makes the mouse jump if I even get close to it while typing. I have an optical mouse that never gave me problems so I don't think that's my problem.
By the way, I swear that Service pack 2 for Vista fried my first hard drive - I had so many problems after I did that - so I did not install it this time. Not that it makes any difference in how Vista does/does not operate :p I just didn't want to have to buy a 3rd hard drive in under 18 months.
My resolution is to upgrade. Not cheap, but neither is any other solution.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
meriruka said:
Windows 7 is better than Vista. Paper and pencils is better than Vista.
ditto
"Real friends don't let friends use Vista."

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have Vista. Not that I know much about it, I have not had any issues. I use IE and yahoo for my mail and home page. I don't like Out Look or anything associated with it. I have a Toshiba lap top.

:idunno

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, so I TOTALLY HATE computers now!!I downloaded IE8. For some reason, the idiot that worked on my computer, put IE6 on here.....anyways, dureing setup I get an error message. " Setup could not verify the integrety of the files needed for instalation. Make sure the cryptographic service is running on this computer." Hu?? Its ALL crypto to me! Anyone know what that means?? cryptographic service ?????

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been a Computer Tech for 11 years now. Stay away from Vista and Office 2007. Change to Windows 7, notice I said change to windows 7 not upgrade. If you upgrade over the top of the Vista OS you might have problem still best thing to do is wipe the drive clean and start fresh. Office 2007 has gleches with some mice and color printers. It seem the trend of Microsoft is every other version of their Operating system is a flop.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm breaking up with Vista. Unfortunately I already bought the upgrade. I hope I don't regret it, but I was not up for wiping my hard drive again.
So what do I do if I have problems? Can I do a clean install with the upgrade version if need be?
I never did install Office 7. No need for it.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Any upgrade tips? This is the upgrade, not the full Windows 7.

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Javamama said:
I'm breaking up with Vista. Unfortunately I already bought the upgrade. I hope I don't regret it, but I was not up for wiping my hard drive again.
So what do I do if I have problems? Can I do a clean install with the upgrade version if need be?
I never did install Office 7. No need for it.
With an upgrade version you need a older version of windows on the machine like Xp, Vista then install Windows 7. Before doing the upgrade I would defrag your hard drive and type run chkdsk /f from the run command it should give you a message saying do you want to run program on next reboot answer yes. reboot the machine. It should run through some function and then startup. I know you don't want to wipe your drive but it best start with a clean install. These are just my recommendation.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks chickenjoe - I'm good to go now. I also ran the Windows upgrade adviser and removed a few things that weren't compatible and I really didn't use anyway. What little I do want to keep is already backed up in case it doesn't go well.
I'll probably get it installed later today :fl buh-bye Vista :smack