CONFEDERATE COFFEE SUBSTITUTES Articles from Civil War Newspapers

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
well I thought it was interesting.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It was a bit long and somewhat repetitive, but interesting. I didn't see anyone mention chicory. I would think that grows in the south too... don't know, I'm a Yankee...LOL

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Interesting, but as Cindlady2 said, a bit long and repetitive. One day, I want to try chicory cuz it does grow around here.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wasn't "Postum" a coffee substitute made from grains? I remember stocking it in the grocery store when I was working through college.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cindlady2 said:
It was a bit long and somewhat repetitive, but interesting. I didn't see anyone mention chicory. I would think that grows in the south too... don't know, I'm a Yankee...LOL
Well here in NC you can still get chicory brew in some resturants. Real coffee with a shot of chicory is much more popular but if you have a pot of chicory it works better then brewing with the real coffee. A traditional taste more associated with poor farm living than the War Between the States [there was nothing Civil about the way the Union waged war] 30 years here and I am still a Yankee...

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~gd said:
Cindlady2 said:
Well here in NC you can still get chicory brew in some resturants. Real coffee with a shot of chicory is much more popular but if you have a pot of chicory it works better then brewing with the real coffee. A traditional taste more associated with poor farm living than the War Between the States [there was nothing Civil about the way the Union waged war] 30 years here and I am still a Yankee...
The crap about this subject taught in schools makes me sick. Almost as sick as the way we worship the war criminal known to me as "stinkin' lincoln" for things he never did!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Let's not turn this thread into a battle ground about the civil war.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I can understand some people wanting a home-growable substitute for Coffea aribica, just for the satisfaction of making their own black bitter liquid to drink. For those preparing for a SHTF situation, though, it appears that none of those substitutes contain any appreciable amount of caffeine. For bartering purposes, or for personal use as a stimulant, I posit that *tea* would be a better substitute. Wider growing range, and easier to process. YMMV.

Latest posts