CONFEDERATE COFFEE SUBSTITUTES Articles from Civil War Newspapers

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Emerald said:
Wannabefree said:
I always wondered why tea wouldn't be used as a coffee substitute :hu It tastes very similar to me, when hot and black with nothing added. I hate them both :p I only like iced sweet tea ;)
Back when this article was written they had a blockade on the harbors ( the war between the states)and tea was only grown at the time in Asia-India and China and was just as hard to come by as the coffee was. Is that what you wanted to know? The USA had the Boston tea party in response to the huge taxes levied on tea way back before this war. America was taxed without representation in England at that time. so it was dumped in response to that as a way to thumb their noses at the taxes.
I already knew all that. I just meant flavor wise I don't see the big difference between the two when served black.
no biggy. just going by the title of the thread. :) Personally I drink tea in the summer for my morning wake up and then during the day as ice tea. I love my coffee but sometimes in the heat of summer coffee with cream and sugar doesn't sit as well as a big hot cup of earl grey(no sugar or cream).
I don't find the tastes similar at all.. :) just goes to show how different we all are in our tastes. lol

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't find them similar either. :hu

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I just taste bitterness with teas and coffee :lol: Now give me something sweet or salty, and i can taste even tiny differences immediately, so yeah, everybody's taste are very different. DD says bell peppers taste bitter...DH says habaneros taste like cinnamon. :hu I dunno, but coffee and tea taste the same to me. Although, I don't think I'd sweeten and ice down coffee to drink just because the idea of it :sick :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Girl! Iced coffee is da bomb! (with a lot of sugar and whipped cream on top - and with chocolate shavings - and cinnamon, and ...) I kinda like it, lol!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:sick EW fem! That sounds more like a dessert then a drink anyway :p

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:lol: Me too, but I like to eat it rather than drink it...though i do enough of that as well. :/ I only had two sodas today though :D