Congratulations you went crazy with me

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem is dealing with culls. Rabbit weight gain in the first couple days correlates to adult size, so if you are selecting for size you can cull early and sell as reptile food. Some rabbit markings are visible within the first week and can be culled then too.

Some people can sell rabbit (whole ground rabbit) at a premium for dog food, but it's hard to keep consistent supply with a small herd of rabbits.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That sounds like a better idea than eating them myself, I don't know that I could eat that much rabbit lol, and eventually I want to get into reptiles too. Just can't do that right now.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I understand that, it's still not going in my mouth. I don't eat crustaceans either, and that's been going on for thousands of years too.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to eat them, of course; it's nice to know that they are edible though, if hunger is looming large for some reason. They are an excellent livestock for urban homesteaders though- you can keep a bank of cages in your garage even. They are much easier to handle than rabbits as well- they can scratch if scared, but they won't lay your arm open to the bone like a big rabbit can. I only ever saw one bite someone: my brother, who stuck his finger in a cage. She apparently thought his finger was a carrot because that was the way we offered them carrots- just wedged them between the bars of the cage so they could nibble without the carrot rolling away.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I guess I've only been around mean guinea pigs. My cousin had one and so did the neighbor kid, and they'd both bite...no idea if they were mean to them or not.

OzarkCountryGirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree, if you are looking for exotic pocket pets, what about sugar gliders? Ferrets aren't quit as exotic, but still popular in many area. Or chinchillas (the rodent, not the lagomorph). Chins can be sold as either pets or their fur, for which they have been historically bred. Another up and coming exotic is the short-tailed opossum, sometimes referred to as the pygmy opossum. Fennec foxes are another still, however those require a LOT of attention, and may or may not be legal in your area. Though they are certainly adorable. Personally, I'm quite fond of Coatis (Coatimundi), but again, they require a bit of attention - think mix between a raccoon, a Jack Russell terrier, and a Capuchin monkey. :)

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DS used to raise Angel fish to sell. One pair can have a bunch of babies! She also raise finches. She kept them in a small cage. I think she had 2 or 3 hatch. Probably not enough to make a living though. Mama used to raise and sell fancy shmancy guinea pigs.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Coatis, fennec foxes, and sugar gliders sound awesome! I already was considering sugar gliders. Coatis sound really cool.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never heard of a Coatis - until I just looked one up. Cool! Those foxes are cute, cute, cute!