Container Gardening Questions

patchesnposies

Power Conserver
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
No, no rocks. You just need something to keep the worst of the dirt from going out the drainage holes -- a couple thicknesses of folded or crumpled burlap or windowscreen works fine, as do lots of other options. It is not a big deal, even if you lose *some* soil thru the drainage holes it will still be ok, you absolutely DO need those drainage holes though.

You might consider converting at least some of the containers to self-watering, especially for plants that are very thirsty and do not deal well with *ever* drying out.

You may well have to water non-self-watering containers several times a day unless you put in an auto system (capillary or drip or whatever), just something to be aware of.

In a hot climate it is often worth building some sort of 'surround' for the containers that will protect the outsides of the containers from direct sunlight, otherwise a lot of plants can have trouble with their roots getting too hot. A mulch atop the soil is also a good idea, for this reason and also to limit water loss.

Certainly you can grow a LOT in an extensive container garden though, for sure go for it :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
Wow, I am getting lots of great feedback. I do have some old burlap coffee bean bags, that I brought home one time figuring I could do something with them....now I know what! I am going to use Bubblingbrooks wood idea too, gotta read and understand that, more.

Anything that keeps moisture where it's needed!

Pat, what do you mean self watering? I was thinking of putting PVC down the side and watering them that way, bottom up.

We get some fairly strong winds that will wreak havoc on any plants even if I do plant them six inches below the top of the container so I am already planning to have my DH put up a two sided fence/wind break would that help the roots to not get hot?

The containers are black.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
No, no rocks. You just need something to keep the worst of the dirt from going out the drainage holes -- a couple thicknesses of folded or crumpled burlap or windowscreen works fine, as do lots of other options. It is not a big deal, even if you lose *some* soil thru the drainage holes it will still be ok, you absolutely DO need those drainage holes though.
I agree with Pat.

Perhaps someone on here can think of an inexpensive way to raise some of them to waist height to make it even easier for you to garden.

patchesnposies

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hoosier said:
patandchickens said:
I agree with Pat.

Perhaps someone on here can think of an inexpensive way to raise some of them to waist height to make it even easier for you to garden.
You know, I thought about raising them so I wouldn't have to bend over....but I figure I can always bring along a chair and sit while I weed!

I have to remind myself all the time that things could be much worse. :D Healthy family, a DH who is my sweetest and dearest friend, lots of kids and critters to love, food on the table, a roof over our heads....with that perspective I am aware that I have so much to be thankful for that RA seems like a small burden.

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
patchesnposies said:
I have to remind myself all the time that things could be much worse. :D Healthy family, a DH who is my sweetest and dearest friend, lots of kids and critters to love, food on the table, a roof over our heads....with that perspective I am aware that I have so much to be thankful for that RA seems like a small burden.
Wow, great attitude! I've been following this thread with interest. I don't have your issues and do my gardening in raised beds (just added a new one this week). DH, on the other hand is intrigued by the idea of hydroponic gardening. We decided to have a "grow off" this year. I'll do the raised beds - he's doing a modified hydroponic system that involves a stack of 5-gallon buckets - I don't know the details. Also not sure what this "competition" entails except hopefully it will mean LOTS of produce for me to preserve this year! :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
patchesnposies said:
hoosier said:
patandchickens said:
I agree with Pat.

You know, I thought about raising them so I wouldn't have to bend over....but I figure I can always bring along a chair and sit while I weed!

My FIL has RA. Been trying to convince him to go gluten free, to see if he is one of those with RA that is fully relieved of symptoms.
No go with him yet though, he loves his bread too much!

patchesnposies

Power Conserver
Reaction score
HEChicken said:
patchesnposies said:
Wow, great attitude! I've been following this thread with interest. I don't have your issues and do my gardening in raised beds (just added a new one this week). DH, on the other hand is intrigued by the idea of hydroponic gardening. We decided to have a "grow off" this year. I'll do the raised beds - he's doing a modified hydroponic system that involves a stack of 5-gallon buckets - I don't know the details. Also not sure what this "competition" entails except hopefully it will mean LOTS of produce for me to preserve this year! :D
Sounds like this contest will end in a Win-Win either way! ;)

I hope you will post as you go along, with pictures of course!

patchesnposies

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
patchesnposies said:
hoosier said:
I agree with Pat.

My FIL has RH. Been trying to convince him to go gluten free, to see if he is one of those with RA that is fully relieved of symptoms.
He may just be addicted to it! I know I am/was. This marks my second week gluten free and I am amazed that wheat is found in so many things.

My eldest daughter (adopted from Vietnam) is also joining me on this GF journey. (Actually the whole house is...they just don't know it yet!) She is almost 11 and has struggled with nightly bedwetting and developed psoriasis last year. We have found when she eliminates wheat the bedwetting disappears and her skin clears....it is shocking the impact it has.

I feel SO much better wheat free!

So, I am on a real learning curve right now. Trying to relearn all I know about baking, using different flours. I am also cutting out corn as I believe it is all GM anyway.

We have a small herd of Nigerian dwarf goats and have switched to goats milk, unless I can find a jersey cow....they are scarce in the southwest! lol

This is another reason I am so interested in my new and improved style of gardening.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
patchesnposies said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
patchesnposies said:

My FIL has RH. Been trying to convince him to go gluten free, to see if he is one of those with RA that is fully relieved of symptoms.
He may just be addicted to it! I know I am/was. This marks my second week gluten free and I am amazed that wheat is found in so many things.

My eldest daughter (adopted from Vietnam) is also joining me on this GF journey. (Actually the whole house is...they just don't know it yet!) She is almost 11 and has struggled with nightly bedwetting and developed psoriasis last year. We have found when she eliminates wheat the bedwetting disappears and her skin clears....it is shocking the impact it has.

I feel SO much better wheat free!

So, I am on a real learning curve right now. Trying to relearn all I know about baking, using different flours. I am also cutting out corn as I believe it is all GM anyway.

We have a small herd of Nigerian dwarf goats and have switched to goats milk, unless I can find a jersey cow....they are scarce in the southwest! lol

This is another reason I am so interested in my new and improved style of gardening.
Good for you :thumbsup
You will continue to improve over time, for sure.

I do know about that addiction thing.
It never connected until I had been GF for some time.
I actually have Celiacs, so I am 100% GF.

MY SIL found a new baking book, that has 4 different versions for all the breads, etc.
No Xantham Gum is called for in it, as its corn based.
I need to get a copy soon.

patchesnposies

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Good for you :thumbsup
You will continue to improve over time, for sure.

I do know about that addiction thing.
It never connected until I had been GF for some time.
I actually have Celiacs, so I am 100% GF.

MY SIL found a new baking book, that has 4 different versions for all the breads, etc.
No Xantham Gum is called for in it, as its corn based.
I need to get a copy soon.
I would love suggestions for GF cookbooks. I borrowed one from the library by Rebecca Reilly it was fantastic. I plan to order it from amazon soon.

I do get wonderful ideas from GF blogs too, but I don't have any cook books yet. Do you make your own baking mixes etc?

(Hmmmmm, might need to start a new thread I think we may be headed off topic! LOL)