Container Gardening Questions

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Our area makes mulch and compost out of the yard waste everybody puts out. They let anybody load some and go- for Free. I love that price. :)
I would poke holes in the container and put a thick layer of free mulch on the bottom. It will hold some moisture, but not turn into a swamp. Then fill it with a mix of good dirt and some compost. A thick layer of the mulch on top too, will minimize your weeding.

patchesnposies

Power Conserver
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Our area makes mulch and compost out of the yard waste everybody puts out. They let anybody load some and go- for Free. I love that price. :)
I would poke holes in the container and put a thick layer of free mulch on the bottom. It will hold some moisture, but not turn into a swamp. Then fill it with a mix of good dirt and some compost. A thick layer of the mulch on top too, will minimize your weeding.
I have a compost heap and will be putting it to good use! Thanks for reminding me about mulching the top to keep down weeds.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Have you heard of Earth Boxes? They are made with a water reservoir on the bottom, a filling tube, and the soil is held up by a screen so it is above the water. I've made them with containers and buckets. They are AMAZING! Tomatoes do especially well. I used them (my homemade ones) when I lived in an apartment, but I still use them for greens like lettuce and chard because it keeps the bugs out. Check out their website, and be sure to watch the video they have. http://store.earthbox.com/EarthBox-Containers/products/5/

I have a thread somewhere....I took pictures as I made a couple years ago. I'll go find it. Your containers, if not cracked, would be perfect for this. http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1967

patchesnposies

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Have you heard of Earth Boxes? They are made with a water reservoir on the bottom, a filling tube, and the soil is held up by a screen so it is above the water. I've made them with containers and buckets. They are AMAZING! Tomatoes do especially well. I used them (my homemade ones) when I lived in an apartment, but I still use them for greens like lettuce and chard because it keeps the bugs out. Check out their website, and be sure to watch the video they have. http://store.earthbox.com/EarthBox-Containers/products/5/

I have a thread somewhere....I took pictures as I made a couple years ago. I'll go find it. Your containers, if not cracked, would be perfect for this. http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1967
The containers are not cracked at all. In fact, I am using a large one as a horse waterer. Thanks for both of the links! I plan to check them out after the kids are in bed.

It sounds amazing!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
We get some fairly strong winds that will wreak havoc on any plants even if I do plant them six inches below the top of the container so I am already planning to have my DH put up a two sided fence/wind break would that help the roots to not get hot?
The containers are black.
Windbreak isn't going to help cool the roots unless it keeps the container (but not the plant!) shaded from about 10 am onwards, which it almost certainly won't.

Yeah, if hte containers are black and you are in a hot summer climate then FOR SURE you should try to make some kind of something outside of them for insulation and reflection, otherwise it is hard on the plants or can even kill them. It is nice if your arrangement can be removed/reapplied with the planter already planted, because that way you can wait til you DO get high soil temps to put the insulation on and thereby benefit from warmth *before* that... but if it comes down to all or nothing, leave it permanently *on* not off.

A wooden surround built around the planters looks nice but is obviously more work; some people just make 'jackets' for them, or pile dirt or mulch up against/over the sides.

patchesnposies said:
Pat, what do you mean self watering? I was thinking of putting PVC down the side and watering them that way, bottom up.
I wouldn't do that with normal containers, you need the water to go all the way thru from the top not just run out the bottom having bypassed the upper part of the soil (which is where, face it, most of the roots will still be, especially early on)

Self-watering containers, or they mysteriously trendy new term 'earth boxes' which basically just means *big* self-watering containers, have a platform maybe 4-6" (or more) above the container bottom, with NO drainage holes in contrast to a normal pot (the bottom part under the platform is the water reservoir, which you fill all the way whenever you get the chance and don't ever let it run dry). The soil goes atop that platform (still fills the majority of the container) and there are various arrangements of wicking materials that bridge the gap from soil to water so that capillary action sucks the water up from the reservoir into the soil at whatever rate the soil needs it. Wicking arrangements can be felt or other absorbant materials in small planters, but are usually cylinders of soil wrapped in something water-permeable for larger containers (because of the larger am't of water needed to be wicked)

There are lots and lots of directions on the internet for making your own, try googling something to the effect of "make self-watering planter", if you have trouble finding things let me know. Your library may even have some books on it, there've been several useful ones published in the past 5 yrs or so (books on container veggies that contain instructions on making self-watering planters for them)

It is worth doing at least for some of them that will house the "thirstiest" plants or be in a location hardest to rig an auto watering system. Container plants really do use QUITE A HUGE AMOUNT of water, a decent-sized tomato plant can easily need watering several times per day even if it is in good potting medium in a good big container, and pretty much no veggies will do well with repeated drying out.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG...m/watering-tomatoes-using-2-liter-sod-bottle/

use a few 2 liter soda bottles to water containers

just put 2 holes in the lid, cut off the bottom, invert and fill

slow drip to the roots. being in the South my containers get super duper dry. for that reason I don't even bother anymore with my flower containers. I love the pretty, but to water is just awful. And a big ugly bottle in the container isn't worth the look I am after lol but a big ugly bottle in a vegetable plant container would be fine for me.

containers are a great way to get great veggies. put a trellis in a few and get those delish green beans etc.

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Love that idea. As it happens, I just noticed a soda bottle sitting waiting to be taken out to the trash, which is strange because we hardly ever buy soda. I'll nab it and use both ends of it now :) I like the idea of using the bottom as a seed starter too. I just made newspaper pots last night in preparation for starting spring seeds.

patchesnposies

Power Conserver
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
We get some fairly strong winds that will wreak havoc on any plants even if I do plant them six inches below the top of the container so I am already planning to have my DH put up a two sided fence/wind break would that help the roots to not get hot?
The containers are black.
Windbreak isn't going to help cool the roots unless it keeps the container (but not the plant!) shaded from about 10 am onwards, which it almost certainly won't.

Yeah, if hte containers are black and you are in a hot summer climate then FOR SURE you should try to make some kind of something outside of them for insulation and reflection, otherwise it is hard on the plants or can even kill them. It is nice if your arrangement can be removed/reapplied with the planter already planted, because that way you can wait til you DO get high soil temps to put the insulation on and thereby benefit from warmth *before* that... but if it comes down to all or nothing, leave it permanently *on* not off.

A wooden surround built around the planters looks nice but is obviously more work; some people just make 'jackets' for them, or pile dirt or mulch up against/over the sides.

patchesnposies said:
Pat, what do you mean self watering? I was thinking of putting PVC down the side and watering them that way, bottom up.
I wouldn't do that with normal containers, you need the water to go all the way thru from the top not just run out the bottom having bypassed the upper part of the soil (which is where, face it, most of the roots will still be, especially early on)

Self-watering containers, or they mysteriously trendy new term 'earth boxes' which basically just means *big* self-watering containers, have a platform maybe 4-6" (or more) above the container bottom, with NO drainage holes in contrast to a normal pot (the bottom part under the platform is the water reservoir, which you fill all the way whenever you get the chance and don't ever let it run dry). The soil goes atop that platform (still fills the majority of the container) and there are various arrangements of wicking materials that bridge the gap from soil to water so that capillary action sucks the water up from the reservoir into the soil at whatever rate the soil needs it. Wicking arrangements can be felt or other absorbant materials in small planters, but are usually cylinders of soil wrapped in something water-permeable for larger containers (because of the larger am't of water needed to be wicked)

There are lots and lots of directions on the internet for making your own, try googling something to the effect of "make self-watering planter", if you have trouble finding things let me know. Your library may even have some books on it, there've been several useful ones published in the past 5 yrs or so (books on container veggies that contain instructions on making self-watering planters for them)

It is worth doing at least for some of them that will house the "thirstiest" plants or be in a location hardest to rig an auto watering system. Container plants really do use QUITE A HUGE AMOUNT of water, a decent-sized tomato plant can easily need watering several times per day even if it is in good potting medium in a good big container, and pretty much no veggies will do well with repeated drying out.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
So something as simple as painting the outside of the black container with Kilz to make them reflect heat isn't going to do much.

I am wondering if I put a smaller container inside a larger one with a layer of soil insulation between the two might help?

You mentioned "jackets." Other than building a wooden structure around each of them, which would be pleasing aesthetically, but impractical and expensive, what could I use?

I am so happy that I posted to ask for help, I really appreciate EVERYONE's input and advice.

Thank you!

Deb

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
patchesnposies said:
So something as simple as painting the outside of the black container with Kilz to make them reflect heat isn't going to do much.
Well, I have not tried it specifically but I can tell you that in Durham, NC a white plastic container can easily get too hot for tomato plant roots in August in the full sun. So it would certainly be better than nothing but if you can do more it'd be better.

I am wondering if I put a smaller container inside a larger one with a layer of soil insulation between the two might help?
Actually if you do that I think you would not want soil between them (soil is not a good insulator) you would want packing peanuts or mulch or even just air-open-to-the-sky.

You mentioned "jackets." Other than building a wooden structure around each of them, which would be pleasing aesthetically, but impractical and expensive, what could I use?
I've used aluminized bubblewrap, and have known others who've used burlap bags stuffed with, gee actually I'm not sure what she stuffed them with I guess it was maybe straw? (it would get kind of skanky by the end of the summer :p). You can stitch broken-up styrofoam into feedbags to wrap around livestock water buckets in the winter and that would probably also work for this purpose (do it like a channel quilt, you know? so the stuffing stays more or less in place and the whole thing is flexible)

Honestly I tend to just either prop wooden boards on teh sunny sides of the row of containers and mulch the tops, or if they're on the ground I pile mulch or garden weedings around the sides of the pots to shade them. It ain't martha stewart but it works.

Pat

patchesnposies

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Pat, you (as Andy Taylor would say) are a caution to the jay bird! You crack me up.

All of these are excellent ideas. I am thinking pallets maybe would work, propped up on the sunny side of the containers and your idea of using stuffed feed bags is inspired!

You've really got me thinking!