1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendars- ORDER NOW!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Featured Thread: Then and now...
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Container grown potatoes?

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by ORChick, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Feb 15, 2017 at 3:36 PM
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Super Self-Sufficient

I've pretty much always cut and cured - unless it was just a tiny potato. I agree - two eyes are better than one!

2. Feb 15, 2017 at 7:34 PM
    sumi

sumi Super Self-Sufficient Administrator

I grew mine from whole potatoes, but they sprouted quite a bit in the bag, so it seems the best thing to do with them at the time. In future I will cut them rather (and sooner).

lcertuche likes this.
  3. Feb 15, 2017 at 9:56 PM
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

My family has always cut the potatoes. When your planting acres of them it makes a huge difference in the amount of seed potatoes needed. Yes at least two eyes. Don't plant them in the same field two years in a row to avoid build up of potato pests and diseases.

I'm going to try feed sacks with soil this year. I'd rather use my raised beds for squash and other things that I don't have to dig out. Fresh potatoes are so good

sumi and lcertuche like this.
  4. Feb 15, 2017 at 11:52 PM
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Almost Self-Reliant

We cut ours. We grew them inside tires last year. They did ok despite neglect and a severe drought (when water's limited, potatoes don't top my watering list). I won't dig for potatoes!

lcertuche likes this.
  5. Feb 18, 2017 at 9:34 AM
    sumi

sumi Super Self-Sufficient Administrator

@NH Homesteader, we grew potatoes in stacked tires a time or two. It's wonderful! Made a huge mistake the first time though, we placed the tires in a spot that got a lot of sun, where we lived at the time, daytime temperatures got up to 120F plus frequently, so the poor plants got baked in the stacks. We should've thought of it at the timeā€¦ Black tires, hot sun, soaking up heat.. Lesson learned.

NH Homesteader likes this.