Container grown potatoes?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've pretty much always cut and cured - unless it was just a tiny potato. I agree - two eyes are better than one!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I grew mine from whole potatoes, but they sprouted quite a bit in the bag, so it seems the best thing to do with them at the time. In future I will cut them rather (and sooner).

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My family has always cut the potatoes. When your planting acres of them it makes a huge difference in the amount of seed potatoes needed. Yes at least two eyes. Don't plant them in the same field two years in a row to avoid build up of potato pests and diseases.

I'm going to try feed sacks with soil this year. I'd rather use my raised beds for squash and other things that I don't have to dig out. Fresh potatoes are so good

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We cut ours. We grew them inside tires last year. They did ok despite neglect and a severe drought (when water's limited, potatoes don't top my watering list). I won't dig for potatoes!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader, we grew potatoes in stacked tires a time or two. It's wonderful! Made a huge mistake the first time though, we placed the tires in a spot that got a lot of sun, where we lived at the time, daytime temperatures got up to 120F plus frequently, so the poor plants got baked in the stacks. We should've thought of it at the time… Black tires, hot sun, soaking up heat.. Lesson learned.

Farmer Connie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The looser the soil, the bigger the potato here. 50% top soil & 50% sand in tubs. Lots of sun/drain holes and not too of moist soil. Don't forget the pig fecal..
thumb blue.gif
Goat is almost as good. Takes longer to break down.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I just realised I could've done a lot better with mine! They were not drained much, rich compost (not very loose), not much sun (I'm in Ireland?) Great tips here! I'll definitely use them for this year's crop :)

Latest posts