Convection oven saves energy?

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
After alot of research and alot of "pros and cons" lists...I found a convection oven on sale 20% off , so I went ahead and got the convection oven.
I am thrilled with it!! It really isnt that loud at all and it does cook faster! My bread is much more evenly browned and my casseroles cook quickly and evenly :)
I couldnt be happier with the convection oven. It even had 1 extra large burner that fits my canning pot perfectly to bring that water to a boil much faster.
Thank you all for your advice and recommendations!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are living in a little studio apartment while we build our house. For it I got a black and decker table top convection oven... about $50, don't remember exactly, Its small and can only bake one loaf of bread at a time but it does hold a 10 inch casserole dish or pie plate. I really love it and it makes toast too.. I am wondering now why I would want a big oven at all... all I really need one for is the thanksgiving turkey and is it worth it for that? It seems to bake perfectly to me... i had a large convection oven, Maytag, in my last house and I loved how that baked too, but the control panel kept breaking. thats when Idecided i didn't want an oven with a with a press pad control panel again. what a rip! I had to keep purchasing an appliance insurance policy. I replaced it 3 times,,, fortuantely the insurance covered each time but the last time they had a hard time getting a replacement cause the oven was 7 years old.

So I started looking at ovens that had no bells and whistles... and guess what! they all have to be special ordered and they all cost more than the ones with bells and whistles.... just a plain jane oven. Their gonna get you one way or another.

The_Realistic_Optimist

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have a large toaster oven that is also a convection oven that heats up to 450 degrees. The best thing about it, is that it is very portable, so in A/C weather, I take it out to the back porch off the kitchen and use it there. That way it doesn't compete with the A/C by heating the house and it uses far less energy than my large oven since it has a smaller area to heat. The one I bought is large enough to cook a 12" pizza and will also hold my 10" square casserole dish. Works well for biscuits, cornbread, cookies and other baked goods. The only thing I use the big oven for is larger meats (which I wouldn't do in the summer) or bread.

I've been toying with the idea of a ceramic smoker/grill for doing bread outdoors, but they are very expensive. I'm also working on putting in an outdoor summer kitchen. Thus far, I have collected all of the necessary appliances (free!) from people who are replacing perfectly good appliances to get something fancier. We've also been collecting lumber as it becomes available cheap or free. Not only will this provide a place to cook & bake in hot weather that won't heat the house, but it will also provide a second (or third if you count the toaster oven) oven for when we have a crowd, like holidays or family reunions.

Any suggestions on inexpensive ways to get building materials and put in a propane system on the cheap are appreciated.