cooking beans

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've mentioned that my some ladies in my church are doing the Daniel Fast. (I'm going to modify it slightly and allow myself kefir, b/c of all the good stuff in it, and because I'm so new to it, and because I don't get much in me to begin with ;) )

But - one of the big components on this is beans, which is fine, but it also recommends using dried (not canned) to avoid as many chemicals as possible. With mine and my mom's schedule, the overnight soak will not be a problem.

My question is - instead of the 1-1/2 -2 hr simmer/cook time, can it crock pot (with the lid slightly askew to let steam out) all day long? Or will that not work?

Thanks y'all!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Soak overnight with sea salt and whey (or lemon juice), rinse really well and then crock it :D That's what I do.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't leave the lid askew. I leave the lid on snugly. Oh, and 24 hour soak if you can, then rinse, even if the directions say not to. Then start with fresh water.

I love a good cleansing diet and do recommend them, however, the body needs good fats in order to utilize many nutrients. It is dangerously depleting to go more than a few days with no fats, and if you are doing low fat, it should not be veg oils, but naturally occurring fats like egg yolks, cream, etc. JMO. I'd sneak some good fats back in as soon as you really start craving them. For me, that is 1-3 days! :p

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I can barely make a day without fats, but I am still in "repair mode" from what I can tell.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's supposed to be 21 day "diet," so we'll see.

And thanks WZ - now I have something to do with my kefir whey when I make my kefir cheese! (The critters won't be happy though - they sure do like it poured over their food!)

OK to soak for 24 hrs with the whey in it? And WZ - what's your verdict on the lid?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Soak overnight with 1T baking soda. Works like magic. I usually put beans in the steamer while I'm boiling bone broth and they are fine. If I forget the baking soda, they don't get quite done that way.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Only use the baking soda if you have to. Sometimes I do because our water is so hard. The baking soda can neutralize some of the B vitamins if you use too much...and it doesn't take much at all.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
if I'll be using kefir whey to soak, do I need to use any baking soda? We do have really hard water.