cooking beans

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Well, I cook my beans and try to use the filtered water I can get at a water stand down the street. If I can't I try cooking without it, but if 8 hours later those beans are still hard, I sprinkle a pinch of baking soda in to the beans and give it a little more time. Not exactly scientific, but it works for me.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, since my beans have been soaked 24 hrs, and now gone overnight in the crock pot on low, and are still, ummm, crunchy is a good word, I should add a pinch of baking soda?

And how much/little whey do I use? The bag said to use 8 cups of water, and I had abt 1/2 cup of whey, so I used that + 7-1/2 cups of water.

Have y'all tried Brown Jasmine Rice? I think I'm in :love (I don't really care for brown rice, but this stuff is good!)

What about soaking lentils? or quinwoa? or barley? HELP!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
If they are still crunchy, add some baking soda and let it cook some more.

The whey amount is fine. You don't need a lot. The good bacteria reproduce as it sits.

As for your other grains, YES, soak them. See if you can find yourself a copy of the book "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. You might be able to check it out at your local library.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I can barely make a day without fats, but I am still in "repair mode" from what I can tell.
I get INTENSE cravings. Ill eat eggs scrambled in butter w/ lots of cheese all day long. Can't get enough of it.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
LOL... I went through that about 2 years ago. I also, as an experiment, tried going total carnivore. I couldn't do it because the meat I could get was TOO LEAN!!!

Finally had to start putting butter on my steaks :D

It was a fun experiment but I like veggies.

When the fat cravings hit me really hard, I get out the cream cheese...

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have lots of cream cheese :D Finally got bacon!! My problem is I don't eat most meats, I can handle chicken and love bacon.

Hmm. Bacon, eggs and cheese for breakfast with a smear of cream cheese over everything? Go!

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How long do I soak the other grains? At least overnight? Use some whey in all of it? (My mom was "ummm, these beans STINK, and it's been getting worse all day" but once I rinsed 'em and got 'em going in fresh water, not a problem :D )

Reason I'm asking is the bag of lentils actually says it doesn't need soaking. But then, we don't think about soaking rice either, and I'm gonna start doing that.

Teach me, oh great wise ones! :bow

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Soaking beans over night also gets rid of phytic acid, which binds up magnesium and calcium and iron and zinc, making it unavailable to the body.