Cooking corn on the cob?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
During corn season, the guys working on the asphalt paving machine always have a slab of aluminum foil for lunch - wrap fresh picked corn in foil, cover with hot asphalt and let it cook.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nah, it is sealed by the foil and the shucks. I can't eat much on days I inspect paving because of the smell - it turns my stomach just to be out there by the machine.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ever try "Cooler Corn"? I made it once and it was AMAZING... but a MESS to clean up.

There are SEVERAL versions.. The one I used was to put clean ears of corn into a clean cooler. Pour enough boiling water over them to cover. Wait a few mins, then open the drain and let the water out. Drop A LOT of pats of salted butter over them, close the lid and shake. Done.

I've done it that way with slight variation... Its great when we have family get togethers at the state park or the national Forest. Its good and portable when you want to feed a large group of people.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lazy method for corn is to leave on the husk. Cut off both ends so husks are loose. Microwave. I do 2 minutes for 2 of them.

Squeeze out. The silk comes right off with the husk.

I avoid the microwave with fresh foods but I do use it to warm up already cooked foods.

I read on the internet that microwaving irradiates food, killing off many beneficial organisms and rendering vitamins unprocessable by the human body. Now I want to caution everyone here, I read this on the internet so God only knows if it's true or not... But I do know for example, when I make a ginger bug to ferment ginger ale. I have to use un-irradiated (organic) ginger root for the bug to come alive. So that's saying something at least.

Beside microwaving an ear of corn just doesn't seem right :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
While I love fresh corn on the cob - barely cooked, still crispy fresh and slathered with butter and sea salt...I have had the most delicious treat several times at festivals/fairs. Mexican Street Corn! :drool

If you can get it fresh - not after it's sat for several hours - Mexican Street Corn is the most flavorful, delicious thing on the face of the earth!

https://thestayathomechef.com/authentic-mexican-street-corn/

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Radiofrequency radiation is not really harmful unless you're in it's path and close to source since it's non-ionizing. It just excites the water molecules. Because it cooks food fast, it does less harm to the nutrients. Many nutrients and vitamins are destroyed by long cooking. They also escape into water when boiling.

So boiling is the absolute worst way to cook anything.

That said, I rarely use my microwave. I don't like how the texture turns out since everything is basically steamed from within.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Radiofrequency radiation is not really harmful unless you're in it's path and close to source since it's non-ionizing. It just excites the water molecules. Because it cooks food fast, it does less harm to the nutrients. Many nutrients and vitamins are destroyed by long cooking. They also escape into water when boiling.

So boiling is the absolute worst way to cook anything.

That said, I rarely use my microwave. I don't like how the texture turns out since everything is basically steamed from within.

I thought the microwaves that we have in our homes are short (micro) wave lengths generated by electromagnetic radiation. Radio waves are long waves, used to transmit natural sounds (like a human voice (modulation)) amplified many times over. Over certain long wave frequencies.

Latest posts