Cooking during an emergency.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens,

The two main types of wheat for long-term storing are hard red and hard white. Both can be used for flour, sprouting, cereal, pilaf, etc.

Do you know what kind of wheat you usually eat?

http://ohioline.osu.edu/agf-fact/0146.html
Classes and Uses of Wheat
AGF-146-01
Dr. Jim Beuerlein
Professor, Horticulture and Crop Science

The primary use of wheat is to produce food for humans. Grain that is not good enough for human food is used for animal feed. Many different food products are made from the different classes of wheat. Durum wheat is used to make pastas. Hard red wheat is used to make loaf bread and other products. The soft red winter wheat grown in Ohio is used to make cookies, cakes, donuts, and other fine pastries. Often, flour from different classes of wheat is blended to make special flours for unique food products. The various classes of wheat are described here.

Durum Wheat, the hardest of all U.S. wheats, is seeded in the spring and contains a high amount of protein (1216%), which is good for pasta products macaroni, spaghetti, and other noodles. Durum wheat is grown mainly in North Dakota and has subclasses such as Hard Amber Durum, Amber Durum, and Durum wheats. Total acreage is about 3.2 million acres.

Hard Red Spring Wheat contains the highest protein content (1316.5%) making it an excellent bread wheat with superior milling and baking characteristics. Hard red spring wheat is grown mostly in Montana, the Dakotas, and Minnesota. This wheat is seeded in the spring and may have either a hard or a soft endosperm. Subclasses are Dark Northern Spring, Northern Spring, and Red Spring wheats. Total acreage is about 13.8 million acres.

Hard Red Winter Wheat is the class of wheat used mostly for bread and all-purpose flour. This wheat is fall-seeded, has medium to high protein content (1013.5%), and can have either hard or soft endosperm. Hard red winter wheat accounts for more than 40% of the U.S. wheat crop and half of U.S. wheat exports. This wheat is produced in the Great Plains, between the Mississippi River and the Rocky Mountains, and from Texas to the Dakotas and Montana. It has a wide range of protein and good milling and baking qualities. The flour is used to produce bread, rolls, some sweet goods, and all-purpose flour. Total acreage is about 23 million acres.

Hard White Wheat is the newest class of wheat to be grown in the United States. Hard white wheat is closely related to red wheats except for the color genes and has a milder, sweeter flavor, equal fiber, and similar milling and baking qualities. Hard white wheat is used in yeast breads, hard rolls, bulgur, tortillas, and oriental noodles. This wheat is used in domestic markets and is exported in limited amounts. There are no subclasses. Total acreage is about 0.3 million acres.

Soft Red Winter Wheat is seeded in the fall, has a low to medium protein content with soft endosperm, and is used to make cakes, pastries, flat breads, and crackers. It is grown east of the Mississippi and has no subclasses. Ohio is the leading producer of soft red winter wheat followed by Arkansas, Illinois, and Missouri. Ohio wheat is known for making higher-quality flour than that coming from any other soft red winter wheat-producing state. Total acreage is about 13.0 million acres.

Soft White Wheat is used much the same way as soft red wheat (for bakery products other than bread) and is grown mostly in the Pacific Northwest and to a lesser extent in California, Wisconsin, Michigan, and New York. Soft white wheat has low protein and high yields. Subclasses are Soft White, White Club, and Western White wheats. Total acreage is about 8.3 million acres.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if things are worst an open fire pit and any metal pot can feed you

You need one iron pan and fire-----and you can survive and eat well (all your pantry stock can be used at this point if you have these 2 things..lol)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
A Dakota fire hole comes in very handy for a hot, fairly smoke free fire. They are also concealable.

Basically it's a rocket stove, only dug into the ground. Same benefits, hot fire, low smoke, uses less wood.
They get hot in a hurry. A little bit of a pain to get dug out & lit, if the wind isn't just right, but once you've got it going they are awesome.

Add a greenstick or metal grill, and voila - cookstove.
Let the coals die down a bit, put your dutch oven down in the pit & cover the holes to bake.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/the-dakota-fire-hole/
Hey Noobie, thanks for posting this! I just printed it out! :thumbsup

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Depending on where in Washington you're at check Cabelas-they are a bit spendy but also have bigger selections. There are "kitchen units" with stoves & ovens w/temp gauge included. Places like kmart, walmart, fred meyer, etc-may have a "camp oven" that looks like a collapsable, square metal bottomless box with a temp gauge that sits on a heat source (usually propane stove burner). It has a door and metal rack. I haven't used either of these, but I've been lookin and droolin.

As for your gas kitchen stove working without electricity....I remember as a kid, living in a trailer with gas stove and furnace that when our power went out, the stove did still work for both cooking and heating the kitchen area(shut doors to other rooms) The furnace didn't work because the blower ran on electricity. Just make sure all pilot lights are still on/burning/lit or you & family are in danger of gas leak fumes/explosion.

Hope this info helps, good luck! :)

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One of my goals is to grind my own grains, not just for emergencies, but all the time. I wish we could grow wheat here, just to have the experience of growing, grinding, and eating my own bread. Oh well. Maybe cornbread?

I'm liking the rocket stove idea since it used wood, which I am comfortable with, and generally have plenty of. I also found a cast iron skillet in my garage (?!) so I'm off to see if it's seasoned and such. If it is, I might try that flat bread recipe. I have garlic butter and everything...

dinesh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Don't forget to turn off the regulator of gas cylinder.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Hi,
Saw your post on top, here's my 2 cents. I have always cooked with propane gas. Gas ranges used to be made with no electronics whatsoever. They had pilot lights for the burners and oven. You can still get these at Lehman's Non- electric. I have one and can cook and bake full meals regardless of whether I have electric. We occasionally have power failures but I don't give it much concern as long as I have gas. You can also get gas refrigeration but is is not cheap. If your situation is prolonged... its griddle cakes on the wood stove. My mother cooked and baked on a wood cook stove for 50 yrs. ( also at Lehman's) Nothing tastes better. Hot rolls, Biscuits, corn bread, Yum.:drool ( Just like Granny Clampett)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
a wood burning cook stove is at the top of my "want" list. I want one with a hot water reservoir.