Cooking during an emergency.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I am still trying to learn dutch oven cooking. I can't wait to master it !

When we go camping, I bake cakes, muffins, biscuits, and even cookies in a carboard box oven. I used the instructions for #1 here:

http://www.astoriatroop105.us/BoxOven.pdf

You can do a search for other methods, but this one works every time. True, you can only do four cookies at a time, which is just enough to tide me over until the next four are baked !

I used 9 briquets to equal 350 degrees. And instead of buying an elevated grill, I used soda cans filled with sand or dirt upon which I rested a dollar store cake rack, and on that I rested the disposable cooking container.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is a good flatbread that I cook on my grill - just toss it on the grill, no pan needed. On the grill I keep the cover down, but this should also work over an open pit fire I would think. One could also use a heavy pan or a pizza stone too, if that would work better in your circumstance.

Flatbread for the Grill - makes 4 -

1 tsp dry yeast dissolved in 2 Tbls. tepid water
1 3/4 c. flour - unbleached, whole wheat, or a mixture
1 tsp salt
1 Tbls olive oil (or other fat; bacon grease would probably be yummy)
1/2 c. water

Mix as usual into a smooth dough. Knead for about 10 minutes. Let rise in a greased bowl, covered for about 1 1/2 hours (or longer, just knock it down, and let it rise again)
Punch down, and divide into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a 6" round. Let rise while the grill is heating, or until sort of puffy. Toss on the hot grill and cook approx. 2-4 minutes per side, with the grill covered.
Optional: When rolling out the dough put some seeds (sesame, poppy, nigella*) on top, and use the rolling pin to press them on.

*Nigella is also called charnushka, and sometimes onion seed - although no relative of onion. Often used in Middle Eastern and Indian cooking. I am quite fond of it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If I had to eat only what I could grow, flour products would probably be out of our diets
LOL

I already got that step out of the way :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Everyone has given you some great ideas, dutch ovens, solar box ovens, grills, rocket stoves....decide what you want to try and go for it.

The important factor here, as Freemotion pointed out, is to actually practice a bit. That way if TSHTF, well then you will actually know what to do!

Aside from baking a lot of stored food will need cooking, beans, rice dried foods....so be sure you know how to prepare whatever it is that you are saving.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Purely out of curiosity, the sort of wheat that y'all tend to save in big sealed buckets, how is that for just boiling up and eating pilaf- or porridge-style? I periodically eat, uh, I know what they look like in the bulk food store but am not sure of the name, wheat berries??, that's basically whole (smallish shortish) wheat grains, and THEY are plenty edible that way, but what about flour-type wheat?

BTW, another option I don't *think* (?) has been mentioned is to build a baking oven, like the outdoors type. This would not be worthwhile for a couple weeks' power outage obviously, but if you are living up in the hills for a few years, sittin' on a whole lot of stored wheat and/or really craving bread products, it is certainly quite doable as long as you know how.

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Aside from baking a lot of stored food will need cooking, beans, rice dried foods....so be sure you know how to prepare whatever it is that you are saving.
Exactly what I have been working on the past few months. I cook some delicious beans and a great pea soup :D

Next I need to practice with the lentils.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A Dakota fire hole comes in very handy for a hot, fairly smoke free fire. They are also concealable.

Basically it's a rocket stove, only dug into the ground. Same benefits, hot fire, low smoke, uses less wood.
They get hot in a hurry. A little bit of a pain to get dug out & lit, if the wind isn't just right, but once you've got it going they are awesome.

Add a greenstick or metal grill, and voila - cookstove.
Let the coals die down a bit, put your dutch oven down in the pit & cover the holes to bake.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/the-dakota-fire-hole/

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Noobie, I haven't heard of the dakota fire hole, and now I am itching to walk out back and give it a try ! Thank you !!!!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:thumbsup
Just remember to dig the vent hole upwind of the firepit. The rest should come naturally with your rocket stove experience :)

A few dry rocks down in the hole with the embers will help retain the heat for baking. Please, please don't use river rock or rocks from a wet area. Can you say *bang*? :)