cooking for a type 1 diabetic

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yep! Truth there!

@Chic Rustler I hate it that you're having so much trouble with the CGM. We had an occasion where a sensor was just bad. It would be off every time we calibrated. Only after calibrating it at least 4 or 5 times in one day did it get close to being right.

There have been several instances where DH had trouble with a sensor and he would call them. They're really helpful and have replaced several sensors at no charge.

Any chance you can get him on a pump? With DH, we got the CGM first and a month or so later we got the pump. It makes a huge difference because it delivers a constant flow of insulin.
we arent eligable for a pump for a year and theres good reason for that. we are still learning the basics

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
this CGM has been a nightmare. it made all of our phones alert to high BG. when i tested at 11 it was a little high ao i retested him at 1130 amd it rose 25 points. the poor kid has gotten ao used to getting his fingure pricked he slept right threw it. anyhow so i decided to call the urgent line just incase. we then had to wake him up and test for keytones (negative) and the nurse on the line deiced we should just relax and wait on the lantis to kick in. so i go to sleep and the phones all alert again less than an hour later the dang thing has lost signal. i finally figured out how to mute ALL the alerts on the dang thing and decided i would retest BG. its the same, hasnt risen so im ok with that. lantis should be here any minute to smooth things out. gonna try this sleep thing again.

Mom and Dad had issue with their Dexcoms. They have Freestyle Libre 2 now. Dad has no issues but Mom does. She has bleeding issues, though and it can cause problems with the sensor.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
seems the sensor just needed time. its right in the money today. hes still trending high. may need a ratio change but thats for the experts to handle.

tonight we had pasta with meat sauce, a salad with lettuce, spinach, cabbage and carrots, amd steamed broccoli. 75 carbs.

i tried doesing 15 mins before the meal. he tested at 189 and has fallen to 153, but he just finished dinner. it will likely trend back up

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad the sensor is working better now! Did they give you any suggestions on carbs per meal?

I wish DH could eat pasta - it's one of the things that blows his sugar into the stratosphere. Some years back we discovered that there are some pasta alternatives, but never really found one we loved. There are new ones on the market these days and we may experiment again.

We've also tried almond flour and coconut flour recipes. There are some really good recipes out there for coconut flour pancakes. Even my grandkids love them. Lotsa recipes online.

I've been eyeballing an almond flour banana muffin recipe. Haven't tried it yet - but eventually I'll get around to it.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Glad the sensor is working better now! Did they give you any suggestions on carbs per meal?

I wish DH could eat pasta - it's one of the things that blows his sugar into the stratosphere. Some years back we discovered that there are some pasta alternatives, but never really found one we loved. There are new ones on the market these days and we may experiment again.

We've also tried almond flour and coconut flour recipes. There are some really good recipes out there for coconut flour pancakes. Even my grandkids love them. Lotsa recipes online.

I've been eyeballing an almond flour banana muffin recipe. Haven't tried it yet - but eventually I'll get around to it.

all they told me was give the kid whatever he wants and dose him accordingly. im aure i will get more education when we go to diabetic class next month. pasta does suck tho. seems it hits about the same time as the NV starts winding down. so when it comes to pasta we try moderation. a little pasta and alot of greens/ meat. its just a side dish.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
all they told me was give the kid whatever he wants and dose him accordingly. im aure i will get more education when we go to diabetic class next month. pasta does suck tho. seems it hits about the same time as the NV starts winding down. so when it comes to pasta we try moderation. a little pasta and alot of greens/ meat. its just a side dish.
What types of desserts does he enjoy? Can he have the sugar substitutes? (Stevia, etc.) I have a ton of recipes. I have an almond meal shortbread recipe that makes a great cheesecake crust

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What types of desserts does he enjoy? Can he have the sugar substitutes? (Stevia, etc.) I have a ton of recipes. I have an almond meal shortbread recipe that makes a great cheesecake crust
he loves all of them. we havent been having desserts lately because i dont want to push my luck but we will. id love to get recipes. remember we have to count total carbs tho.