Cooking Oils

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use only Canola and Extra Virgin Olive Oil for any cooking etc. in the house.

Now, what about peanut oil. I read that it is to be used for a lower chol. diet.

Has anyone used this? I never have....and ta-da---the big stupid question.......

Does it make food taste like peanuts..HA HA

I don't have a clue??????

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is there a Chic-fil-a restaurant near you? They use peanut oil. Boardwalk fries are also frequently peanut oil. Not exactly peanutty, but very tasty.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know peanut oil has a higher temp threshold. It burns less easily. I know nothng about the flavor. I do know that the guys on tv say regular olive oil instead of the extra virgin is fine for evryday cooking. They say the extra virgin should be saved when eating it fresh, salad dressings etc...

I love Chick filet. Sweet tea please!!!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I used to use olive oil for everything...and I still use it occasionally, but grapeseed oil is my oil of choice. I use it for and in everything...it is a very very light oil and is actually better for you than any other. Full of antioxtdants...like grapeseed extract. It can be hard to find...in Canada it is found only at No Frills. You can do a search online and find out more about it. Cost is about the same as olive oil.

http://www.associatemelody.com/articles/health-benefits-grapeseed-oil.html

http://www.josephsestatewines.com/grape_seed.html

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I use olive oil for most cooking too.

I use coconut oil as well.

I have peanut oil, but don't use it as often. I love the taste it gives food. However, I don't know much about the health effects. Here is an interesting article related to some possible health concerns .

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We never use peanut oil because my DS is allergic. From what I understand it is really good for frying foods because it has a higher smoke point than vegetable oil. It is also considerably more expensive. I don't know how it compares as far as cholesterol levels go.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I use peanut oil for frying chicken. I like the flavor.
As for general kitchen use, extra virgin OO should really be saved for drizzling over salads, fresh maters etc. regular olive oil (cheaper ) is good for saute-ing. Personally I frequently use canola when I saute.

For those who do not know...Extra Virgin is the first pressing of the olives and yields the richest flavored oil. Virgin is the second press and plain old Olive Oil is the last press yielding the least flavor.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I used to use peanut oil a lot when I cooked Chinese almost daily- it would take better taste buds than mine to distinguish the difference. Only reason for using it to me was that you could get it hotter without burning like people above said.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Inchy
thanks for the info but I was at Chic-Fil A about 2 years ago and can't remember at all the taste..LOL...once I stopped eating that type of fast foods I just can't remember...LOL

I know I have had peanut oil in things but for the life of me I can't put a taste with anything....hmm...

TanksHill
I didn't know that about olive oil. I always heard to get the first pressing, the extra virgin...hmmm...interesting.

Morel----well you KNOW that grapeseed oil is going on the list for me next time shopping. I know my store has it cause I checked it out while reading other oils and such. Pricey but the same kinda like you said. My health I am sure is worth a few pennies..LOL.....and I will research it more...thanks for the link...very informative. I DO want one that raises the good HDL.....

keljonma
great site! thanks....it made me realize the true difference in the oils.....one might reduce bad chol. but not raise the good.....I want oils that raise the good chol. while lowering the bad....very eye-opening! :)

Drakemaiden
UGH--the controversies...LOL..I know it drives me insane to read "something is good for you" and then in the next article it is "bad for you"---always a tough call isn't it...but when in doubt, why experiment,,,,lol,,,,use something everyone says is good for ya..HA HA HA
thanks for the link. very good to read up on all sides of something we are thinking of using.

Poppycat
I am sure with that allergy you are watching labels and being so careful what comes into the house. I have heard those peanut allergies can be very severe!

Thanks so much Dace. Great info for me to know. I will be using the regular old olive oil for sauteeing and all that now. Why waste the good stuff right..LOL

Latest posts