Cooking Oils

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
As often, I have to say thanks to you all.
You sure are a great bunch of "know it alls" out there and I love it......great info for me to start learning more on this stuff!

I appreciate it! :)
Smiles for everyone..LOL

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Canola, coconut, peanut, sunflower & lard are the cooking fats I use. The peanut I originally got for peanut butter, but have started using it in my stir fry's & I think they taste better. The sunflower I use in baking, cocnut for popcorn, canola for deep frying & lard for biscuts & pie crusts so far.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I used to use peanut oil for everything, then when I got pregnant with my first I switched to canola just because peanut allergies have gotten more common and I'd just like to err on the side of caution with that.

At present I use extra-virgin olive oil for a few things and canola for everything else, but am not happy that the majority of canola is GM. OTOH I cannot afford to use organic (which is also non-GMO) canola at the prices it's going for these days. So I dunno, I will prolly keep using regular canola oil but feeling guilty :p

(Oh, and I use butter and bacon grease for some things too)

Pat

rosajrms

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I know I used to use peanut oil when I did popcorn the old fashioned way - in a pressure cooker pot on top of the stove on high. It was the first thing I ever cooked. lol

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We really don't use much oil, at least not on a daily basis.
Like Homesteadmom, I use lard for pie crusts, biscuits and sugar cookies. It makes these so flaky. YUM
We have the extra virgin olive oil and canola oil for other uses. And, sometimes bacon grease for those times we splurge and have fried potatoes.

Looks like we use a variety of cooking oils, each for a specific purpose. We think staying away from fast foods and frozen prepared meals helps to cut fat (and sodium). Saves money, too!

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like using sesame oil for stir fry.

Whole Foods has their own brand of non-gmo canola oil that is very reasonably priced.

I might try grapeseed oil next.

teresainNC

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Very interesting reading about everyone's choices in cooking oil. I get large bottles of 365 Extra Virgin Olive Oil at Whole Foods when I can get to that store or have a family member pick up a big bottle of Kirkland's EVOO when shopping at Costco.

I really prefer sunflower seed oil over canola, but don't find it here as I could in the past. So I buy safflower oil which is similar to the sunflower oil. I most often find the Lou-Anna brand.

"Safflower oil is flavorless and colorless, and nutritionally similar to sunflower oil. It is used mainly as a cooking oil, in salad dressing, and for the production of margarine. It may also be taken as a nutritional supplement. INCI nomenclature is Carthamus tinctorius." (Wikipedia)

Sometimes I use half vegetable oil and half EVOO when I want a very light salad dressing. Pure olive oil is what to use for deep frying - that is what is used in the countries that use olive oil exclusively.

Teresa

Latest posts