Cooking with Canned Beans

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aussie meat pies are savoury, and usually best from country bakeries. They are standard at footy games and servos (petrol stations/roadhouses). Beans could totally substitute in these as well as long as you have the gravy right. Most people eat them smothered in tomato sauce (ketchup?) so the taste is probably obscured anyway.

An Australian or New Zealand meat pie is a hand-sized meat pie containing diced or minced meat and gravy, sometimes with onion, mushrooms, or cheese and often consumed as a takeaway food snack.

The meat pie is considered iconic in Australia and New Zealand.[1] It was described by former New South Wales Premier Bob Carr in 2003 as Australia's "national dish"
source-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_pie_(Australia_and_New_Zealand)

Because they are so wide spread most people either buy them ready to eat or frozen to heat at home rather than making their own from scratch. I have made them before, a recipe similar to this, but with my own pastry (which is not as good as store brought, that's for sure! I always make mine too thick)

Vegemite not strictly required.

The sweet mince you guys describe is called fruit mince here and is only seen around at christmas time. I dont know why, because it is too bloody hot at christmas to eat pies!! Especially pies that you cant smother with sauce. Cream sounds ok though ;)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't do as much with beans these days, since they're not Keto-friendly. But I used to make a big batch of black beans in the slow cooker, and then mash them up to make bean and cheese burritos for the freezer. DH could grab one or two and take them to work. Since there is no meat in them, it was safe to let them thaw in his locker until lunch time, and they didn't even need heating up if he was unable to get to a microwave.
Refried Beans Without the Refry
Prep Time:15 Min Cook Time:8 Hrs Ready In:8 Hrs 15 Min
Servings 15
Ingredients

• 1 onion, peeled and halved
  • 3 cups dry black beans, rinsed
  • 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 5 teaspoons salt
  • 1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
  • 9 cups water or add some broth
Directions
  1. Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
  2. Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
and then there's this:
Hopping John
Ingredients:

• 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
  • 2 small smoked ham hocks or meaty ham bone
  • 2 medium onions, divided
  • 3 large cloves garlic, halved
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 cup long-grain white rice
  • 1 can (10 to 14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with chile peppers, juices reserved
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 3 ribs celery, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, minced
  • 2 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 green onions, sliced
Preparation:
In a large Dutch oven or kettle, combine the black-eyed peas, ham bone or ham hocks, and 6 cups water. Cut 1 of the onions in half and add it to the pot along with the garlic and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer gently until the beans are tender but not mushy, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove the ham bone or hocks, cut off the meat; dice and set aside. Drain the peas and set aside. Remove and discard the bay leaf, onion pieces, and garlic.

Add 2 1/2 cups of water to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the rice, cover, and simmer until the rice is almost tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.

Mince the remaining onion then add to the rice along with the peas, tomatoes, and their juices, red and green bell pepper, celery, jalapeno pepper, Creole seasoning, thyme, cumin, and salt. Cook until the rice is tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the sliced green onions and the reserved diced ham. Serve with hot sauce and freshly baked cornbread.

CHILI BEANS BY THE QUART

This is good to do if you are canning something like meat and end up with less than a full canner load. They are delicious as is for a meatless meal or side dish, or you can add some chopped meat (hot dogs, ham, chicken, whatever) and reheat. (caveat: this recipe has not been approved by the National Center for Home Food Preservation)

In each quart jar, place:

1 cup dry red kidney beans
2 slices jalapeno
1-2 garlic cloves
1 handful chopped onion
1 handful red bell pepper
½ tsp salt
1 rounded tsp paprika
A dash of liquid smoke
1 rounded tsp cumin
1 rounded tbsp chili powder
½ tsp cayenne
¼ cup tomato sauce
Fill with hot water leaving 1” headspace

Stir to ensure there are no air bubbles

Process quarts for the same time as meat in your area.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Every now and then we don't want a meat meal - but we love "burgers." On those days a black bean burger hits the spot.

Bean Burger

Ingredients

2 cups black beans, drained and mashed with a fork

1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs

1/4 cup grated onions

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1 egg

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Canola oil, for oiling grill pan

1 to 2 kaiser rolls

Arugula, for serving

Sliced tomatoes, for serving

Mayonnaise, for serving

DIRECTIONS
  1. Mix together the beans, breadcrumbs, onions, chili powder, egg and some salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Form the mixture into 1 big (or 2 smaller) patties.
  2. Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat and add some canola oil. Cook the burger 4 minutes per side. Serve on a kaiser roll with arugula, tomato slices and mayo.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We are old time hill billies from the mountains, and there ain't nothing like soup beans.

3 c. rinsed, drained, and soaked dry beans
1 slab of salt bacon (I prefer a big ham bone)
Salt
Red Pepper Flakes
Onion Powder

Cook all day on low heat until tender, and serve with cornbread, fried potatoes, and wilted lettuce (lettuce, and onions with bacon bits and bacon grease over it).

I've always cooked beans as a supplement or as side dish. Beans in Taco Soup, Chili, or in Taco meat. You could also make refried beans with them.

I'm no cajun but this is great stuff too

Just some thoughts!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Please, @Chic Rustler share your baked bean recipes. I love baked beans, and want to can them. Start to finish, dry beans, to finished jar of yum for me please. On other thread, you were talking about baked beans, plus one other recipe? I want as many home canned (jarred) bean recipes as I can get my hands on.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Oh my, this has got me remembering fermented black bean dip. I've got to make this again!

My favorite way to eat beans is as bean paste, which is a dip kind of like re-fried beans but without the fat. I am not opposed to lard (pork fat rules!) but I like the bean paste better. You just cook up some beans with onions and garlic and mash 'em up and serve in burritoes or with nachos as a dip. We had some for supper tonight with tortilla chips with melted cheddar, salsa all from the garden, and strained goat kefir flavored with garden herbs....I usually use sour cream, but recently discovered that strained kefir is a perfect substitute.

Here is what I did...I always double or triple this, but I will give you the one-bag version:

You will need....

One pound of dry black beans
One medium onion
2-3...or 5 or 9......cloves of garlic

Pick through the beans to sort out any debris or small pebbles. Soak the beans for 12 to 24 hours in a gallon of filtered water to which you have added a glug of whey or lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. This will make the beans much more digestible. Don't use the "quick soak" method that will likely be listed on the intructions on the bag.

Rinse the beans, and put in a crock pot on low overnight with enough water to cover by at least a half inch. Add the diced onion and garlic. NO SALT yet!

In the morning, drain any excess liquid, reserving a cup or two just in case. Run the beans and onions/garlic through a food processor or mash with a potato masher, as smooth or as chunky as you like. Add some of the reserved liquid to get a consistancy that you will like. Think dip.

That's it! Simple, simple, simple.....and cheap! And nutritious!

Serve it as a dip by itself, with grated cheese on top, hot, in burritoes or tacos, with nachos, etc. Include anything you like to go with these items....diced tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, cooked sausage, etc.

You can freeze or refrigerate leftovers. I ferment it for longer storage in the fridge and a slight sour flavor that I like, and increasing the nutrient density and the digestibility....no acid reflux after a meal with fermented foods. You can ferment the salsa, too. If this intrigues you, check out the thread on fermenting.

Then I pack it in jars with LOTS of head space....3-4 inches, as it can really rise up....and add a glug of whey when I mash or blend it. Then I let it sit, covered, at room temp for 2-3 days. 3 days if the temps are in the 70's F and less if hotter. Then repack into appropriately sized jars if desired and put in the fridge indefinitely. You can also just mash up a jar of the seasoned beans and use these, unfermented, in the same way. There. No so much of a hijack now! tongue

eta: If I remember, I heavily salt the surface to help prevent mold. Forgot this time. Just scraped it off. What is underneath is still perfectly good, but once it molds, it will probably mold again, so scraping before using each time will be in order. No problem, as we eat it up pretty quickly in the summer when we don't want to heat up the kitchen by cooking and there are lots of fresh tomatoes to eat with this.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i think what you mean by "mince meat" is ground meat? here "mince meat" is actually an ingredient in some desserts. :)
I LOVE Mince Meat pies!! In the old days minced meat was made with meat. Here is a 16th century recipe:

A 16th-century recipe
Pyes of mutton or beif must be fyne mynced & seasoned with pepper and salte and a lytel saffron to colour it / suet or marrow a good quantitie / a lytell vynegre / pruynes / great reasons / and dates / take the fattest of the broath of powdred beefe. And if you will have paest royall / take butter and yolkes of egges & so to temper the floure to make the paest.

(= Pie filling of mutton or beef must be finely minced and seasoned with pepper and salt and a little saffron to colour it. [Add] a good quantity of suet or marrow, a little vinegar, prunes, raisins and dates. [Put in] the fattest of the broth of salted beef. And, if you want Royal pastry, take butter and egg yolks and [combine them with] flour to make the paste.)[2]

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Easiest ever pie crust recipe:

• 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour

• 1 ¼ cups shortening

• ½ teaspoon salt

• 1 egg

• 1TBSP ACV

• (up to) 5 tablespoons ice water
Cut shortening into flour. Mix salt with egg, ACV and half of the water. Mix into flour/shortening mixture. Add just enough more water, and work the dough only until you have enough moisture to bring the dough into a ball. There may be some loose flour mix left on the bottom of the bowl. Never handle pie crust any more than you must to mix it or roll it out. The more it is handled/mixed, the tougher it will be. This crust is super flaky, almost impossible to ruin. I like to make a nice thin crust so can usually get 3 crusts out of this recipe. Or two, plus extra for a small single crust, turn over, etc.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bean burritos, I like....similar to what you have there but, soft shell/rolled.
Sometime beef & bean burrito. Little mex flavors add....it's actually a hearty meal. Fast, simple.....on winter menu with what I've canned. 😁

Latest posts