Cooking with Canned Beans

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My family has never cooked with dried beans. We have one recipe that we make, and I will say that Grandma's Baked Beans and Ham is one fine meal. However, beans are nutritious, cheap, store well and easy to grow, so I would like to be able to add more beans to my menu.

Anyone willing to share their recipes for using dried beans? What do you like to make with canned beans?

OK, I will admit to putting beans in my chili - wow, 2 recipes in my recipe box that use beans.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
shoot, we lived on beans when I was a kid, pinto beans.
beans and potatoes are good, especially in the summer when your working outside all day. heals you for the next day and prevents cramps.
we usually make a pot of beans and then turn it into chili the next day.

I can alot of beans using the no soak method. 2/3 cup of dry beans per pint, cover with boiling water, 1 inch head space and process at 10lbs for 75 mins. they taste as good as slow cooked beans from the crock pot.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here, traditional mince meat is made with venison, lard, raisins, ?dates, and finely chopped apples, brown sugar, ? molasses, ? vinegar, and other seasonings. It is then used as a filling for a pie, the likes of which you either LOVE or HATE. A tiny piece is very filling, but oh so very good when the crust is flaky, and it is served warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Such a delight can make a great "fenders" meal.

I know the question will be asked: what is a fenders meal?

Hubby: "What's for supper?"

Wife: "Fenders". Meaning: "I'm all pooched out. I'm done cooking, washing dishes, and other such never ending tasks. Fend for yourself." Sunday night, we always have fenders for supper.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I opened a jar of previously dry beans that I canned, heated them up. I scooped them up with a slotted spoon and put in an iron skillet. I added a couple of spoons hog lard, melted. I mashed the beans and made refried beans. I fried whole corn tortillas until crisp. I smeared refried beans on tortillas, topped with cheese and melted it in the microwave. I topped that with fresh pico de gallo and we had a meal!

5FEC55C8-B0C6-48DA-B5D3-053C2A0336C1.jpeg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All the mince pies I've ever tasted were way to sweet for my taste.

There used to be an Australian restaurant (actually more like a pub- not like the typical American Bar, but a true Pub) Anyway, he made meat pies. I thought they were pretty good, but of course I didn't have anything to compare them with. I still remember the sign he had in front that said "Come In Before We Both Starve" :D

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am a Hoosier/Texan. :) We grew up eating chili with beans. My grandmother's chili is to die for! We also had Pinto Beans cooked with ham hocks.

Here is my recipe I use now:

1 lb. dry red kidney beans (I have used Pinto Beans)
2 t garlic salt
1 t Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 t hot pepper sauce
1 qt. water
1/2 lb fully cooked ham, diced
1/2 lb. fully cooked smoked sausage, diced
1 c chopped onion
1/2 c chopped celery
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz. tomato sauce
2 bay leaves
1/4 c minced fresh parsley
salt and pepper
Hot Cooked Rice

Place beans in a Dutch oven or kettle; add water to cover by 2". Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans and discard liquid. Add garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute ham and sausage until lightly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon to bean mixture. Saute onion, celery and garlic in drippings until tender; add to the bean mixture. Stir in tomato sauce and bay leaves. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaves. Measure 2 cups of beans; mash and return to the bean mixture. Stir in parsley, salt and pepper. Serve over rice.

YIELD: 8-10 servings.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Whenever my Dad shoots a dear, he makes Mom make him a Mince Meat pie. I feel bad for him, her pie crusts are terrible, but she has Grandma's recipe for mince meat and I don't so I have never made one. He is the only one who will eat it, so he gets the whole thing to himself. But, that is why he usually only gets one mince meat pie a year.
And yes, it is ground venison with fruit and spices.