Cooking with Canned Beans

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Whenever my Dad shoots a dear, he makes Mom make him a Mince Meat pie. I feel bad for him, her pie crusts are terrible, but she has Grandma's recipe for mince meat and I don't so I have never made one. He is the only one who will eat it, so he gets the whole thing to himself. But, that is why he usually only gets one mince meat pie a year.
And yes, it is ground venison with fruit and spices.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Easiest ever pie crust recipe:

• 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour

• 1 ¼ cups shortening

• ½ teaspoon salt

• 1 egg

• 1TBSP ACV

• (up to) 5 tablespoons ice water
Cut shortening into flour. Mix salt with egg, ACV and half of the water. Mix into flour/shortening mixture. Add just enough more water, and work the dough only until you have enough moisture to bring the dough into a ball. There may be some loose flour mix left on the bottom of the bowl. Never handle pie crust any more than you must to mix it or roll it out. The more it is handled/mixed, the tougher it will be. This crust is super flaky, almost impossible to ruin. I like to make a nice thin crust so can usually get 3 crusts out of this recipe. Or two, plus extra for a small single crust, turn over, etc.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aussie meat pies are savoury, and usually best from country bakeries. They are standard at footy games and servos (petrol stations/roadhouses). Beans could totally substitute in these as well as long as you have the gravy right. Most people eat them smothered in tomato sauce (ketchup?) so the taste is probably obscured anyway.

An Australian or New Zealand meat pie is a hand-sized meat pie containing diced or minced meat and gravy, sometimes with onion, mushrooms, or cheese and often consumed as a takeaway food snack.

The meat pie is considered iconic in Australia and New Zealand.[1] It was described by former New South Wales Premier Bob Carr in 2003 as Australia's "national dish"
source-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_pie_(Australia_and_New_Zealand)

Because they are so wide spread most people either buy them ready to eat or frozen to heat at home rather than making their own from scratch. I have made them before, a recipe similar to this, but with my own pastry (which is not as good as store brought, that's for sure! I always make mine too thick)

Vegemite not strictly required.

The sweet mince you guys describe is called fruit mince here and is only seen around at christmas time. I dont know why, because it is too bloody hot at christmas to eat pies!! Especially pies that you cant smother with sauce. Cream sounds ok though ;)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i've never had a mince meat pie in it with actual meat of any kind.

the meat pies i'm familiar with are either the pot pies of youth that were bought frozen and baked and were ok, but not my favorite and then the pastys from up north (cornish pasty) which were always very good as this one lady made them for many years for a local small store. both her meat and vegetarian pastys were excellent and when she finally retired from making them i never found ones i liked nearly as much. some things are better left for memory. i don't really need to make them myself. i'm not a huge fan of crusts in pies or meat pies either.

mince meat pies were not common and still aren't, but i would have a piece of one if they were around for Thanksgiving dinner. me and my Dad were about the only people who'd even have some.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All the mince pies I've ever tasted were way to sweet for my taste.

There used to be an Australian restaurant (actually more like a pub- not like the typical American Bar, but a true Pub) Anyway, he made meat pies. I thought they were pretty good, but of course I didn't have anything to compare them with. I still remember the sign he had in front that said "Come In Before We Both Starve" :D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I opened a jar of previously dry beans that I canned, heated them up. I scooped them up with a slotted spoon and put in an iron skillet. I added a couple of spoons hog lard, melted. I mashed the beans and made refried beans. I fried whole corn tortillas until crisp. I smeared refried beans on tortillas, topped with cheese and melted it in the microwave. I topped that with fresh pico de gallo and we had a meal!

5FEC55C8-B0C6-48DA-B5D3-053C2A0336C1.jpeg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bean burritos, I like....similar to what you have there but, soft shell/rolled.
Sometime beef & bean burrito. Little mex flavors add....it's actually a hearty meal. Fast, simple.....on winter menu with what I've canned. 😁

Latest posts