cooking without electricity

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Stove is LP so I can still use the stove top and light by hand. I have a nice BBQ and can use that. I was actually without an oven recently until DH got it fixed and managed just fine. But, in the end if I needed I could go out and get the generator going. DH bought the generator years ago because, it's no fun milking all those cows by hand. The neighbors all know that if we should have a long term power outage to come during milking time and fill containers of water.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We had a major electric tower wash out in a flood a few years back. We were without electricity for 5 or 6 days. Fortunately we have a gas stove. We also have a gas bbq grill and keep 2 tanks in rotation. Then we also have a camp stove that runs off those small fuel canisters. Cooking was not an issue.

Keeping the food from spoiling....well that was a different issue all together. We did manage to grab the last container of dry ice from Walmart and we put that in the freezer and that helped. I did end up buying new coolers after the experience. I got one that will keep food cold without replacing the ice for 7 days.

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Keeping the food from spoiling....well that was a different issue all together. We did manage to grab the last container of dry ice from Walmart and we put that in the freezer and that helped. I did end up buying new coolers after the experience. I got one that will keep food cold without replacing the ice for 7 days.
That is a major issue. What good will it do you if it's spoiled?

I had a friend without electricity for 2 weeks. They lived in town and had a neighbor with a generator. Everyone ran extension cords to it to keep thier freezers going. They were the only thing the generator was used for. Another neighbor had a big camper and they cooked in there. It was my friends job to get the morning coffee going as she was up with a brand new baby. He was due for his 2 week checkup just days after loosing power.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Yes electricity is a major issue. Unless there is a tornado or major wind event my most likely time to lose power is from an ice storm. In that case my two freezers and refrigerator will last a couple of days before I have a problem. The freezer in the garage will last longer if the weather is cold. The longest power has ever been out where I live is 24 hours. I think it is because of a power substation and a Job Corps near me. Generator is still on the to buy list.

My means of cooking.
-- Natural gas stove. The oven needs electricity because of the safety feature. The cook top will still work.
--Wood burning stove.
--Camp stove until we run out of white gas.
--BBQ until we run out of propane.
--Cook outside as if we are camping. Have lots of wood but it it is wet that could be a problem.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Knowing how to dry food can help for long periods of no electricity. I used to have an electric dryer, but it was a pain, and would be of no use in a power outage :p

I have sun dried tomatoes and chilis, and have made Summer sausage out of ground beef, but I need to brush up on my drying skills...just in case we have that zombie apocalypse after all :D

http://www.ehow.com/how_4670439_prepare-zombie-apocalypse.html

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I stopped using the oven. I got it fixed after the element died and have used it like 2-3 times max for anything.

My midget toaster/bake oven does it all for me now along with the stove top.

I know I save money and I know I save electricity.

BUT this is cooking without power.

We all have the usual propane bbq grills, the usual charcoal grills, the usual campstoves, wood stoves are great for a heating surface------but no one forget if all that fails or we run out of charcoal and propane etc.-----------a regular old fire in the backyard or in a small metal trashcan or ring.

2 stout Y shaped branches punched into the ground on each side and insert a dutch oven into a branch and hang over the fire.
Instant stew or boiling water.

Old time yup, a life saver absolutely.

And a hot dog on a stick...lol...cause all our freezers will be defrosting and we have to eat it all up!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks
but minus the icky hot dog that Tony still likes to eat..HA HA HA

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We use our gas grill or sometimes the ole hotdog on a stick cooked over the fire in our chiminea(sp?) I wish we had a larger fireplace. I have a friend who has an OLD house with a big open hearth. She's taken open hearth cooking classes and makes wonderful meals that way. I'd love to be able to do that!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I spent the weekend in the desert. My goal was to make all my meals in my dutch oven. Breakfast and dinner went well. We still ate sandwiches for lunch. My family thought I was weird. Practice makes perfect.