cooking without electricity

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tanks
YOU WENT CAMPING and didn't take me.....oh :(

lucky you--did you have a blast! I can't wait til early spring to hit the mountains for trout fishing....oh soon, so soon!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
H23
if I had to do a real fireplace, open hearth monster is what I would love to have also!!!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I spent the weekend in the desert. My goal was to make all my meals in my dutch oven. Breakfast and dinner went well. We still ate sandwiches for lunch. My family thought I was weird. Practice makes perfect.
You are so right, TH! Same family response here... :smack
Until last year when we were without power for almost 3 weeks.... :plbb

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Tanks
YOU WENT CAMPING and didn't take me.....oh :(

lucky you--did you have a blast! I can't wait til early spring to hit the mountains for trout fishing....oh soon, so soon!!
We headed up to the high desert. Mid 70's in the daytime mid 30's at night. Took the off road toys. Met about 6 other trailers of family and friends to celebrate my husbands big 40th. The weekend was rather fun. There is an old mining town called Calico Ghost Town, one street at the base of a bunch of old silver mines. Saloon, leather store, panning for fools gold, slanted house and a small train ride. Some of it still original most rebuilt to look old. It's a nice place to go for the people who don't off road. Gives everyone something to do. Now I just have all the catching up to do.

We did have the trailer but I cooked out side all weekend. It was great.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now that sounds like a real fun weekend!!!!!
This is when I envy your weather. Middle of March we will hit the mountains for first trip...oh can't wait.

That ghost town sounds like fun. I sure would love to see some "old west type" stuff here. I can't wait to travel out your way. I told Tony that AZ, TX and WY and NV and CA are all places I want to camp. Hmm....might take a while but I will do it--LOL

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The feeling is mutual. But I guess in our case we are hading your way. My kids have never seen the Grand Canyon so that would be our first stop. We have family my husband would like to visit in Mo. So I guess I need to figure out whats in between. I really want to head to Yellowstone. We went to Yosemite 3 years ago and last year up to the Redwood Hwy in No. Ca. It is so amazing to see all of these places for the first time.

With fuel cost down pulling our house on wheels is ideal. :D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
H23
if I had to do a real fireplace, open hearth monster is what I would love to have also!!!
Ditto, but wouldn't look too good in my 1969 New England ranch....:lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
With fuel cost down pulling our house on wheels is ideal.

The way I see it tanks is we gotta spend the money somewhere on vacations right? be it plane, rail or road..LOL---so yes, lower gas means having fun on wheels! :)

grand canyon and yellowstone. ideal! I want the first time WOW factor too when I head out in my camper! I know what you mean!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ditto, but wouldn't look too good in my 1969 New England ranch....

LOL---beauty is in the eye of the beholder..LOL
if you love it then it would look GREAT!!!

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Cooking without electricity:
Our solar oven has been in use 13 of the 20 days this month. Even on days with a high of 40 degrees I am still reaching 300 plus degrees temp inside. On 50 degree days I am reaching 375.
A nice solar oven is a great tool for SS even in winter!!! :D

(OK, so we have been having all the nice weather that has by-passed so many of you, sorry.)