Cooperation among your neighbors?

thasista

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Unlike most of the posters on here, I do not have any connection with my neighbors, however there are only about 4 somewhat nearby. I don't think many around here are prepared for anything but a government intervention. Consequently, DH and I pretty much stay to ourselves. I have one friend who is about 10-15 miles away who would jump on her horses and head out way and they would be welcome. They have started preparing and becoming more self sufficient. Her DH is a competition shooter (not sure what they are called). Anyway, we plan to move fairly quickly if we can find the right place. I have enough for DH and I for a year at this point. Even my sis thinks I am a little on the weird side when it comes to this stuff. Its sad I know, but the way it is around this part.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I actually think I'd stay away from that guy, and try to fend for myself first. What if YOU make him mad not following HIS rules on HIS property? Folks like that are liable to shoot you and finish their sandwich over your corpse :lol: Nah...I'd stay home :p
Joel_BC said:
I must admit, that sort of guy isn't my cup of tea. Sounds aloof, mistrustful, beligerant.
Actually, quite the contrary. The people that are jerks and turn around in his driveway are quite rude and ignore polite requests. (There is a correctional facility for juvenile young men near us, and so there is frequent traffic of the not so nice sort, and they're always getting lost out in the 'boonies (said in the most sarcastic way, we're right at the edge of the city, these folks wouldn't know the boonies if it smacked them in the face).
This guy would give you the shirt off of his back if he could. He owns a lot of heavy equipment and such, and has told us, and the non-profit that we can use whatever we need, and he won't accept payment when we try. He comes and will often plow our driveway (crazy long hilly curvy driveway) in the winter since no one else does, and in general keeps an eye on us. Right now he's the best shot we'd have at banding together and staying safe and secure. I pray that we never need it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hq that is a guy I would like to know. A DOER. He does what he says. In hard times those people are valuable.

But I would have to meet this person in chat mode. You know, to get the vibe from him. Some who do this type of thing are just scary as heck and would not want to know or be near, but if you get the right feel from this guy...then he took it over the top but might be just making a statement, the hard way on that lady :lol:

If you want to buck the system, know you have the money to pay for it when you do the deed, and say screw you to the world, sure why not?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One thing that's happened in our valley, in the past, is that neighbors have formed work-party circles. For instance, families from five or six households might com up with projects on their place, prepare by getting the planning and materials in-place, then the whole group assembles on one family's property for a Saturday. Work from morning until noon, have a nice potluck lunch, work from after lunch to evening, then have a potluck feast. Childcare for smaller kids can be handled by one or two of the women.

The "multiplier effect" of eight or ten adults (plus the older, more able kids) working on a project together, in a coordinated way, is tremendous. I've seen big projects accomplished this way, like the building of a house addition.

The group then goes to another household's place the following Saturday. And around the circle. One that I was involved with was active for a couple summers in a row.

Some of the women who know one another in our valley did something similar for the last couple years. They formed a women's weed-pulling circle, helping each other with reclaiming patches of ground and dealing with particularly nasty weedy areas around perennial food (e.g., berries) or decorative plantings.

thasista

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
One thing that's happened in our valley, in the past, is that neighbors have formed work-party circles. For instance, families from five or six households might com up with projects on their place, prepare by getting the planning and materials in-place, then the whole group assembles on one family's property for a Saturday. Work from morning until noon, have a nice potluck lunch, work from after lunch to evening, then have a potluck feast. Childcare for smaller kids can be handled by one or two of the women.

The "multiplier effect" of eight or ten adults (plus the older, more able kids) working on a project together, in a coordinated way, is tremendous. I've seen big projects accomplished this way, like the building of a house addition.

The group then goes to another household's place the following Saturday. And around the circle. One that I was involved with was active for a couple summers in a row.

Some of the women who know one another in our valley did something similar for the last couple years. They formed a women's weed-pulling circle, helping each other with reclaiming patches of ground and dealing with particularly nasty weedy areas around perennial food (e.g., berries) or decorative plantings.
Now that would be an awesome thing to be involved in!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Smart Joel
weeds and hoeing are horrible especially if it is large area and only one person. Lose control fast if you can't give it 24/7.

I like it! :cool:

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Work-party circles ... like the old barn-raisings of yesteryear. It is awesome that your community does that, Joel!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree! When I was a teen I was friends with a girl whose community worked in just such a way. My own little community weren't farmers and weren't workers of any kind, so we never had that level of cooperation. I always envied my friend because of how close her community was....and still is, to a certain degree, though I'm sure the newer generation has lost some of the closeness.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Very neat, Joel!

I think we would work together. Two of our neighbors are close family, and we already work together to keep all 3 families supplied in wood. Many of our neighbors are elderly, though, so I'm not as sure if they could help. DH already helps them with snow removal. I think that we are all friendly enough and caring enough that we would work together if needed.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
If you want to buck the system, know you have the money to pay for it when you do the deed, and say screw you to the world, sure why not?
Yeah, that would be him :p The things he said he did, and rightfully paid for and then got on with his life again. Exactly why I'd trek straight through the back field and right up to his house!!