Cordage

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had to share but also sort of document for myself as I was glad to have finally learned how. I've been testing using Tulip Poplar for various projects and considered its use for cordage, but didn't really know how to go about making it as I had no experience to the point of how to make it. I stumbled across a video in which a man discusses various cordage materials, and in their area he preferred to work with Yellow "Tulip" Poplar. I watched how he went about twisting it and making the cordage and finally decided to give it my first try with a big pile of inner Poplar bark I had stashed. Here's the result:

IMG_3307.jpg
IMG_3308.jpg

It doesn't look like it, but this is about a 5 foot piece. Has anyone else here had experience making cordage from natural material like inner tree bark? My next plan is to practice and make a tough strand of it, and I'd like to make a fishing line with a deer nasal bone hook.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
never done it before. flax is easy to grow plus the seeds are good to eat and of course the flowers are flaxen blue. makes bees very happy.

never looked into processing it, but i grow some once in a while just in case...

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've heard of both of those materials used for rope/cordage material.

Attempting anything with Tulip Poplar honestly came by accident after making our fleshing beam- we peeled the logs and I was getting long strands of bark with it. I twisted up some single strand stuff that made nice bracelets but this was the first time actually trying to make double stranded cord.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Isn't hemp legal now?

yes, just became so. was previously illegal. each state has to regulate it though i think. at the moment it is legal to grow in MI, but i don't know what hoops you have to jump through. MJ is also legal for personal consumption, growing a limited number of plants and you can't sell it. if you want to sell it you have to get licensed/regulated because the state wants their cut (%10 i think). i don't use MJ (i did as a teen but quit before i went to college and haven't used it since). i also grew some back then. it is a lovely plant IMO. :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think there's a LOT of hoops to jump through- if you are growing more plants than the laws allow for individual use- kinda like making wine. And if you are growing it commercially it has to be tested for THC on a regular basis; you can get in a lot of trouble.

DH was playing around the other day and made a very strong piece of rope using two (used) paper napkins. It's only about 6" long, but quite heavy- I couldn't break it.

If you live in the southwest, you could use the fibers from things like yucca.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've heard of both of those materials used for rope/cordage material.

Attempting anything with Tulip Poplar honestly came by accident after making our fleshing beam- we peeled the logs and I was getting long strands of bark with it. I twisted up some single strand stuff that made nice bracelets but this was the first time actually trying to make double stranded cord.
A cord of three strands is not easily broken.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had to share but also sort of document for myself as I was glad to have finally learned how. I've been testing using Tulip Poplar for various projects and considered its use for cordage, but didn't really know how to go about making it as I had no experience to the point of how to make it. I stumbled across a video in which a man discusses various cordage materials, and in their area he preferred to work with Yellow "Tulip" Poplar. I watched how he went about twisting it and making the cordage and finally decided to give it my first try with a big pile of inner Poplar bark I had stashed. Here's the result:

View attachment 12836View attachment 12837

It doesn't look like it, but this is about a 5 foot piece. Has anyone else here had experience making cordage from natural material like inner tree bark? My next plan is to practice and make a tough strand of it, and I'd like to make a fishing line with a deer nasal bone hook.
Yeah... not exactly the real thing, But honestly... Its not bad at all... And it looks like its sturdy enough... Good job... I'll try to do one myself.

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, may not be the "real thing" but still happy with it nonetheless.

Latest posts